Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilacislove

Good fall blooming Perennials?

LilacIsLove
12 years ago

Hi!

I just joined the forum and I'm also new to gardening so I have a few questions.

Firstly though, everything in my garden tends to be spring blooming. There's a nice show until about mid June, and then it's over. Are there any good summer/fall perennials that you guys would suggest? Preferably for smaller gardens.

Thanks!

Comments (10)

• marricgardens
    12 years ago

Here are a few that I really like.
    Rudbeckias: Goldsturm is a perennial but there are lots of annual varieties out there, my favorite is Prairie Sun, the annuals do tend to reseed tho.
    Phlox: Go with the mildew resistant varieties. I have Miss Pepper (pink), and Nora Leigh, variegated foliage white flowers with a pink eye.
    Monarda/Bee Balm: Go with the mildew resistant varieties. I have Jacob Kline, red, and Scorpion, mauve.
    Sedum: I have an older variety I think is called Luxuriant. About 1' tall, flat pink flowers that attract butterflies.
    Ornamental Grasses: lotas to choose from.
    Asters
    I'm sure there are lots more. And don't forget the shrubs. Hydrangeas are beautiful. Hope this gives you some ideas. Marg

• LilacIsLove
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions! I love Phlox, and I managed to get some bee balm from a plant exchange just a few days ago. I didn't realize it was a fall bloomer.

• bev_w
    12 years ago

Eupatorium / Joe Pye Weed
    Nepeta (will bloom until frost if you shear it back after the first flush)
    Solidago / Goldenrod (there are some really nice named varieties out there)
    Tall coreopsis or coreopsis grandiflora will bloom until frost if you deadhead or cut back after the first flush
    Physostegia / Obedient Plant blooms late summer into fall
    Hardy mums. All very vigorous fall bloomers
    Veronicastrum / Culvers Root
    Chelone / Turtlehead
    Ligularia

• ianna
    12 years ago

phlox may linger til fall but by then they don't look as great. Look for those that are of the Davidii variety for mildew resistance. It's asters and hardy mums that are showy in the fall.

For summer colours:
    delphinium
    salvias
    alliums
    russian sages
    columbines
    roses
    clematis
    lavenders
    shasta daisy
    astrantia
    foxgloves
    rudbeckia
    echinacea
    coreopsis
    agastache
    veronicastrum
    veronica
    butterfly bush
    butterfly weed
    oriental poppies.
    sedum autumn joy

• sharont
    12 years ago

Aconitum carmichaelii Ardensii - fall blooming Monkshood
    Aster novi-belgii short types
    Buddleia davidii - Butterfly bush
    Crocus -fall blooming types
    Daylily - Pardon Me
    Geranium Rozanne
    Perovski - Russian sage

• LilacIsLove
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow, there's a lot more than I realized. Thanks guys!

• ontnative
    12 years ago

You mentioned that you had a smaller garden. Check the heights and spreading tendencies of some of the plants suggested here. Some of them are fairly tall and may spread faster than you would like. Many plant families have shorter and taller members, e.g. 'Vivid' is a shorter variety of physostegia (obedient plant).

• donka
    12 years ago

Other mid or late summer bloomers in my area, in addition to what's been mentioned are Lillies, Rose of Sharon and Helianthus. I'm still striving to get a garden that blooms through all the seasons. Working on it :)

• LilacIsLove
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion. I've got a few that SAY they'll bloom in mid-late summer, but since this is my first year really trying to fill my garden, I'm hoping that planting some plants from the store as well as planting seeds will help stagger the blooms. All these suggestions are really helping me plan though! :)

• ianna
    12 years ago

Just a thing to add -- some of the flowers like aconitum or monkshood is highly poisonous. NOT good if you have children around the house. Delphiniums are likewise toxic but not in the level of toxicity as monkshood. Digitalis - a.k.a. foxgloves are lovely but also poisonous.

So just be careful when selecting your plants. Reearch each first before you buy. As a first time gardener you may not know these things - but there are many flowers that can be toxic. Either thru the sap that touches your skin (wear gloves) or thru ingestion.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?