Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Good fall blooming Perennials?

Posted by LilacIsLove 5a (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 24, 11 at 9:22

Hi!
I just joined the forum and I'm also new to gardening so I have a few questions.
Firstly though, everything in my garden tends to be spring blooming. There's a nice show until about mid June, and then it's over. Are there any good summer/fall perennials that you guys would suggest? Preferably for smaller gardens.
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Good fall blooming Perennials?

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 24, 11 at 10:09

Here are a few that I really like.
Rudbeckias: Goldsturm is a perennial but there are lots of annual varieties out there, my favorite is Prairie Sun, the annuals do tend to reseed tho.
Phlox: Go with the mildew resistant varieties. I have Miss Pepper (pink), and Nora Leigh, variegated foliage white flowers with a pink eye.
Monarda/Bee Balm: Go with the mildew resistant varieties. I have Jacob Kline, red, and Scorpion, mauve.
Sedum: I have an older variety I think is called Luxuriant. About 1' tall, flat pink flowers that attract butterflies.
Ornamental Grasses: lotas to choose from.
Asters
I'm sure there are lots more. And don't forget the shrubs. Hydrangeas are beautiful. Hope this gives you some ideas. Marg

o

Thanks for the suggestions! I love Phlox, and I managed to get some bee balm from a plant exchange just a few days ago. I didn't realize it was a fall bloomer.

o

Eupatorium / Joe Pye Weed
Nepeta (will bloom until frost if you shear it back after the first flush)
Solidago / Goldenrod (there are some really nice named varieties out there)
Tall coreopsis or coreopsis grandiflora will bloom until frost if you deadhead or cut back after the first flush
Physostegia / Obedient Plant blooms late summer into fall
Hardy mums. All very vigorous fall bloomers
Veronicastrum / Culvers Root
Chelone / Turtlehead
Ligularia

o

phlox may linger til fall but by then they don't look as great. Look for those that are of the Davidii variety for mildew resistance. It's asters and hardy mums that are showy in the fall.

For summer colours:
delphinium
salvias
alliums
russian sages
columbines
roses
clematis
lavenders
shasta daisy
astrantia
foxgloves
rudbeckia
echinacea
coreopsis
agastache
veronicastrum
veronica
butterfly bush
butterfly weed
oriental poppies.
sedum autumn joy

o

Aconitum carmichaelii Ardensii - fall blooming Monkshood
Aster novi-belgii short types
Buddleia davidii - Butterfly bush
Crocus -fall blooming types
Daylily - Pardon Me
Geranium Rozanne
Perovski - Russian sage

o

Wow, there's a lot more than I realized. Thanks guys!

o

You mentioned that you had a smaller garden. Check the heights and spreading tendencies of some of the plants suggested here. Some of them are fairly tall and may spread faster than you would like. Many plant families have shorter and taller members, e.g. 'Vivid' is a shorter variety of physostegia (obedient plant).

o

Other mid or late summer bloomers in my area, in addition to what's been mentioned are Lillies, Rose of Sharon and Helianthus. I'm still striving to get a garden that blooms through all the seasons. Working on it :)

o

Thanks for the suggestion. I've got a few that SAY they'll bloom in mid-late summer, but since this is my first year really trying to fill my garden, I'm hoping that planting some plants from the store as well as planting seeds will help stagger the blooms. All these suggestions are really helping me plan though! :)

o

Just a thing to add -- some of the flowers like aconitum or monkshood is highly poisonous. NOT good if you have children around the house. Delphiniums are likewise toxic but not in the level of toxicity as monkshood. Digitalis - a.k.a. foxgloves are lovely but also poisonous.

So just be careful when selecting your plants. Reearch each first before you buy. As a first time gardener you may not know these things - but there are many flowers that can be toxic. Either thru the sap that touches your skin (wear gloves) or thru ingestion.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here