Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cedar Hedge

Posted by nico6196 Z5a (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 15, 13 at 9:23

Hi, we moved into a house which had an incomplete cedar hedge planted. The cedars are planted about 3 feet apart leaving large gaps between (about 12-16") and I want to add some more privacy. Can I plant more cedars in between or should I plant more offset (ie. in between but behind) the current cedars?

Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cedar Hedge

photo SDC15236_zps050ff601.jpg

This post was edited by nico6196 on Mon, Apr 15, 13 at 9:30

o

Its not advisable to plant more trees in between. Trees require a large amount of water and their roots would have by now taken up the space between the trees. So in fact the previous owner did something right for those plants. you will eventually have very tall and large trees there. A huge mistake I've seen is when trees are planted closer than 3 feet between. It will overcrowd and eventually one dies. It then becomes harder to remove and to replace. These trees are still relatively young. I would say it's been in the ground for 2 or 3 years. It will eventually fill in.

But I hear you. You feel exposed. There's not fence to create that privacy. An alternative is to add a second row of trees but placing them offset. This way the new row of trees would have the space to grow roots in. It may be the same kinds of trees or you can use other evergreens like hollies or even different types of shrubs. Personally I like variety (see mosaic hedging) Of course, this solution would mean a bit more of your yard space is taken up but it's the only reasonable solution that I can see.

o

I agree. I would plant another row but offset them. I think the same kind would be good but that is just my personal taste.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here