Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brian_ouimet

Easter Lily

brian_ouimet
17 years ago

Hi I bought an Easter Lily at the grocery store Easter weekend. It is white and and had about six flowers. Can I plant it outdoors now that it is finished blooming and will it survive our zone 5 winters. Tahnks in advance.

Brian

Comment (1)

• bonniepunch
    17 years ago

They are not supposed to be hardy for Canadian zone 5, but I have read how some people in USDA zones 4 and 5 have them return every winter. So if you have a warm area in your garden, such as next to a southern facing wall of the house, and you mulch really well, they might return.

I wouldn't plant it out now though. It has been grown in a greenhouse and the sudden change to the great outdoors right now might kill off the foliage. I'd spend the next couple of weeks putting it out during the day. At first in the shade only, then gradually increasing the amount of sun it gets. I'd plant it in the ground sometime in mid-late May, but if it's in one of those small 6" pots, I might put it in a bigger pot until then.

In case you aren't aware - Easter Lilies are extremely toxic to cats so if you have kitty nibblers around you might want to rethink it being in your garden, or at least put it in an area that is kitty-free.

BP

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting