Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cedars turning brown

Posted by nico6196 Z5a (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 28, 10 at 9:40

We planted three cedars last spring and upon unwrapping them this spring, one of them has some brown patches and the other has yellow patches. Can someone tell me why cedars turn brown? Is there anything we can do about it?
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cedars turning brown

Hi Nico

Can you show photos?

Some cedars do go through a browning process -- what sort are yours?

Many evergreens if not watered well during it's first season in the ground will start showing stress only in the following year. Did you provide these plants consistent watering last year?

What can be done? -- just patience for now. Be vigilant. Cedars are pretty good at bouncing back. a Little fertilzer perhaps *but only after we rule out root troubles.

o

Here's some pics. The cedar on the left has a brown patch and the middle one is starting to yellow a bit (on the inside, it's brown and dry) - I hope you can see it in my pics.
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/mouse6196/SDC10691.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/mouse6196/SDC10692.jpg[/IMG]

The cedars are Thuja occidentalis 'Smaragd'. I did have a soaker hose around them last summer (the year I planted them). Although I made a point of watering them regularly, I cannot recall if I did it that regularly.

o
RE: Cedars turning brown pics

Sorry, the pics didnt' work. Here they are

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Okay, the one with the closeup is going to be fine. Give it water and some of those tree fertilizers. My guess is, it probably had some root stress last season. It's recovered now. Lucky thing with cedars is that it will regenerate that foliage. (not so with Junipers)

The one in the middle looks dead unfortunately.

o

Thanks, I've read somewhere that the brown stuff can be cut out. What do you think? If so, when would we do this?

o

If you prune, I would prune what needs to be pruned asap - it is getting on for pruning a cedar (cedars should be pruned in early spring).

If/When you prune, you must be very careful not to prune too far back, or you will end up with a big bare spot - forever. You have to leave growing tips. It will take a couple of years to fill in what you have pruned.

You could consider not pruning the leftmost one at all (ianna is spot on - it should recover). It looks like new growth is already forming at the tips and in a year (or two at most) the brown patch will not be visible, and you will keep the shape of the tree. If you prune it, you will get new growth, but lose the shape.

BP

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here