Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raptorfan

Free Wood Chips-anyone used them?

raptorfan
16 years ago

Hi, I saw this on craigslist and was wondering if anyone has ever used their services & they're legit?

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/zip/637614059.html

Also, I saw this free tree posting if anyone's interested.

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/zip/641382522.html

Comments (14)

• Judy_B_ON
    16 years ago

Haven't used them, but it likely is legit. The tree removal services have to pay tipping fees to take the chips to landfill, so they actually save money by giving them away. You get free wood chips, the landfill is not filled up -- everyone wins

I have had trees cut down and the service I used charged extra to take away the wood. I had a friend with a wood burning fireplace take it away and kept the chips for my own yard.

• raptorfan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the reply, I didn't know they had to pay tipping fees so delivering would make sense. I thought with having to pay for gas & labour, what's in it for them? I'll look into it, I need mulch! :)

• kanuk
    16 years ago

We removed 19 trees(damage, age & safety issues) last year and I've never regretted asking the company to leave the truck load of chips. When I initially asked I thought the chips of our 19 trees would be all that they would volunteer to leave behind but because their truck was pretty full from the days previous jobs they dumped the truck load. I was mortified when I saw the huge dump load of chips spilling onto the driveway!! I wanted to yell "STOP" when the avalanche of chips started rolling out of the truck. So if you can... be sure to have them dump the load where it will not be in your way. It took us 10 hours to move them all to a desirable holding area. With 2 acres of woodland we have no shortage of use for the chips. I have a chipper/shredder and I've "re-chipped the chips" to add to my garden beds last fall. I won't hesitate to call them for more once these have been distributed.
    A word of advice would be to ask that the wood you are receiving does not contain pesticides/herbicides etc. You don't want to contaminate your soil. All in all I feel the benefits of amending the soil with the chips was worth it in itself. Many cities offer wood chips for free now. You're lucky. They're delivering...I say...take 'em.
    Good luck.

• runningtrails
    16 years ago

I would love this. Does anyone know who to contact in the Barrie, Innisfil area?

I have called the hydro and got no answer from them. I have contact tree companies too and only one got back to me and wanted $20 a pick up load - we pick up.

• greylady_gardener
    16 years ago

runningtrails,
    several years ago my neighbour had a huge load delivered (free) right to her driveway. She said that she called the city--forestry dept or something like that. If you look in the phone book for your city, there is probably a dept. that takes care of the trees/landscaping for your city. I imagine that would be the place to call. Keep trying to contact tree companies also, until you can get a hold of them........and offer to take the stuff off their hands for them......doing them a favour you know! ;) don't act too anxious to have it and they might not ask you for money....(just a thought)

• kanuk
    16 years ago

Bonniepunch~ Yes that's exactly why I re-chipped them. I use them just as they are for paths but when I amend my soil with them I re-chip them to smaller size using my own chipper. Nonetheless there are multiple uses for the chips as they are ... mulch being of course of great value.

runningtrails~ I know that in Brantford the City has a chip pick up spot that allows residents to take the chips for free. There is a daily limit but you can go daily and take your limit as long as the chip supply lasts.
    That being said you might call City Hall and ask them. You can be sure that they won't be delivering them to your door though!! lol

Happy Spring everyone!!

• kanuk
    16 years ago

Correction: Please excuse my mistake. The City of Brantford supplies free "compost" not woodchips. A limit of 2 full garbage cans per vehicle per day.
    That's a great offer.
    Many city's are providing compost for pick up as well ... so check with your city/town hall and feed those gardens!!

• runningtrails
    16 years ago

Thanks for the info guys! I will call the city today. I'm right on the line between Barrie and Iniisfil so I'll call them both!I have a Barrie postal code and Innisfil hydro.
    The line runs right across my property.
    I want the wood chips for landscaping paths and chicken houses both, so the big ones will be perfect.

• runningtrails
    16 years ago

I can get free woodchips from Barrie, but only during the weed day and I have to go get them myself. Since I work M-F all day, it's hard. I am taking a day's lieu time in the next couple of weeks and will devote that entire day to readying for the chickens, which includes woodchips.

I'm glad to have found somewhere to get them by the truckload, free, even if it is a little inconvenient.

• glaswegian
    16 years ago

My city also provides wood chip mulch, and I have been going there in the evenings after work to load up 2 recycling bins and a larger bin, which is all I can fit in my car

Sure beats having to buy mulch for 5-6 dollars a bag.

BP....thanks again for the stuff you sent!

• raptorfan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It turns out they don't deliver to Brampton so I will check with the city and see if they have them. Thanks for the idea posted here!

• owbist
    16 years ago

Runningtrails - be wary.

The wood chips offered by many landfill sites are actually construction waste, old fences, compressed board and any other wood. They use a huge chipper and you may find nails and other metal fasteners. I write this as you mentioned using it in your poultry pens, the birds may not appreciate the metal parts. Ask them, (the landfill staff, not the birds) you will be told exactly what to expect

• meyhchao_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

I need 3-4 loads of free woodchips. Thanks

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone