Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adair_2008

Where do you buy your soil from

adair_2008
15 years ago

I figured out my costs of buying soil for my seeds this month and it is expensive, in individual bags. Is there any place you can buy soil at bulk ? I live in Ottawa and I am trying to check it out but so far I have no idea where I could buy any. Ideas most appreciated.

Comments (8)

• sharont
    15 years ago

Home Depot has a bale of seedling growing mix for $23.00 plus tax. Look also for ProMix Professional BX by the bale at approximately $28.00. Ask at private nurseries or ask what they use. Both of above are about 107 L. compressed. You might need help lifting the bale into your car depending on personal strength.

• ianna
    15 years ago

Adair,

You could try to locate garden centres in your area via www.411.ca Sorry, but can you remind us of what your plans were again? Are you creating a new bed? For a bed, I would suggest simple adding bagged soil. For a larger area like covering an entire yard, go with truckload of earth.

What you'd like to look for is one that is close to your location and so costs of trucking in the soil is low. You can get soil by the ton, depending on how large an area you need to improve. And what you'd like to look for is a garden centre that allows you to customize your soil mixes. You will want to know the cost of delivery.

Ianna

• adair_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I will go to Home Depot Again.I was buying for Costco and Canadian tire but the prices are too high. Thanks for all the help.It isn't for my yard,that will be down the road....

• bonniepunch
    15 years ago

I found the best prices for all seed starting soil components was from nurseries that were willing to sell you the huge 100+ litre bags they use. Not all nurseries in my area will sell them, so you might want to call around first, in case your area is similar. I have seen those big bags for sale at Home Depot, but I got a better deal from a nursery (unfortunately the one I used for that is closed now - gotta find a new source!).

BP

• owbist
    15 years ago

There seems to be a new twist to using those huge bags bonniepunch refers to LOL. Last year they were $99 plus a deposit on the bags. This year they are $119 and you get to keep the useless bag - and the price will rise soon according to one advert I saw for early birds. My friend was told he could fill the bag with garbage, I'll bet the garbage men will be thrilled to bits to see one at the curb filled with junk.

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    15 years ago

I used to buy my bale of ProMix BX at a local garden center for nearly $40.00, but a new RONA opened up much closer (gas IS an issue these days!) and they sell it for $28.00. Sure goes a long way and it's good stuff.

• ruks
    13 years ago

Could you tell me which Rona you are talking about. Thank you.

• oilpainter
    13 years ago

I buy promix HP or sometimes BX in 2.8 cubic feet -108 liters of compressed soilless mix. Hp is slightly more porous and quick draining but both are good. In fact the best soil goimg. I use it for everything from seed starting to growing in pots.The nursery charges $31 plus change with tax. I grow a heck of a lot of plants and one bag lasts me all year. If there's any left over a container with a tight fitting lid with keep it good for the next year.

Some Canadian Tire stores sell it. The link below is a store finder. Type in your postal code and it will find a store for you

Here is a link that might be useful: promix

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!