Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garden on Tennis Court

Posted by chym Ontario (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 12, 11 at 10:06

I have a decrepit tennis court on my property, to fix it up or remove it is beyond my budget. Would it be possible to turn it into a vegetable, flower garden? I was thinking of creating beds maybe 8ft by 4 ft with walkways in between. I'd only start with half the court. Can you garden on asphalt? any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garden on Tennis Court

Go for it. Do a search for bed designs and construction. There are lots of documented approaches. You might want a layer of plastic to keep oil in the asphalt from migrating into the soil. However, if the courts are old, most of the volatiles have probably evaporated.

The courts will be warm in the sun. Mulching the walkways can moderate the heating if necessary.

o
RE: Garden on Tennis Court

good point re the leaching. I think though plastic would deteriorate over time (as little as 1 year) Perhaps putting down a gravel layer and then top it off with a landscape fabric to prevent soil from spilling out.

I was thinking of mulching using straws.

BTW - do you know you can create garden beds out of bags of soil which you perforate at the bottom for drainage and cut large holes at the top.

Another method is if you have access to rectagular or square bales of hay. You can group these into large beds, hose down the middle so it starts to rot inside. After a few days add soil on top of the bale and you should be able to plant directly on top. The rotting hay will provide nitrogen to the plants.

you could get more source of information on Mother Earth New magazine. Look for it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here