Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Source for large Bamboo?

Posted by queuetue Quebec (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 24, 08 at 10:40

My wife and I'd like to build a water feature out of bamboo, but none of the garden centers I've tried, nor the "big box" stores, nor the decorating stores seems to have the big (1 to 3 inch) stuff around here (Montreal). Since I'm one of those "funny" people that doesn't own a credit card, ordering online is tough - does anyone know where I can pick some up? Preferably cheap. :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Source for large Bamboo?

I guess it would depend on how much you need, but I've seen small quantities of it around. The city run market by the Mont Royal metro had some last year (they're just getting set up now so they might not have any yet), and there's a dollar type store on Mont Royal that has some (it's not really a dollar store as they sell loads of things for more than a dollar). I think the store is called Dimona, or something like that, and it's about four blocks east of the metro. I can find out the exact name of the store if you want to call them up to see what they have.

I also saw some two summers ago at the Home Depot that's near Boulevard St. Laruent and Van Horne (I think it's on Beaubien). I'd expect that it's a bit early for them to have any in yet if they're planning on it.

BP

o

I can't believe I didn't think to check the dollar stores! Thanks.

(I only need a few sections of 2 feet or so - for the spouts in a japanese water hammer/deer scarer.)

o

• Posted by kanuk Zone4 QC (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 24, 08 at 21:43

You could also check out China Town. Bamboo is usually plentiful there.

o

I found just what I was looking for at a dollar store - thanks!

o

Dollar stores are great - it's amazing what you can find there :-)

Glad you found your bamboo!

BP

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here