Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tambo747

just a funny discovery in an amateurs' garden!

tambo747
15 years ago

I thought some of you would enjoy this!

I had planted tulips along a back corner of my house and they bloomed beautifully last spring. I had received black eyed susans from dads garden and purchased Gaillardia last fall so I dug up all the tulips and planted what I imagined to be beautiful display of orange, red, and yellow susans and Gaill's this summer.

A few weeks ago I was out looking for any sign of growth in that area (I'm new to gardening and very impatient!), only to discover a tulip coming up. I laughed and assumed I had missed a bulb. I left it there to grow. Each day after, I went out to observe this area, only to find more tulips popping out. The more I saw, the harder I laughed (what else can one do?). I have 3 tulips actually growing up smack in the middle of a black eyed susan plant!!! As of today, I have counted 42 tulips along a 6x2 bed. To my surprise this morning, I have a lovely little asiatic lily that decided to join the party!!!

Like I said, I am new to gardening, but I laugh at the thought that even the most amateur of amateurs wouldn't miss over 40 tulip bulbs!!!

I'm not sure if I should transplant them as they won't like the water needs of the other plants I am "trying" to grow there.

Anyhow, here's to a new gardening season, from an amatuer with a bit more experience than last year!

Happy gardening :)

Tammy

Comments (3)

• ianna
    15 years ago

Tammy, Your experience is something we gardeners experience every spring. I can feel your enthusiasm and it's addictive really... So although you've been at it for a year, welcome to the world of excitement in gardening. It's the surprise factor...and it's indeed funny and exciting... It's like you tackled an abstract art painting not quite sure what you'll be coming up with and the results are surprising.

I just thought it's a rather interesting and good combination having tulips amidst the black eyed susans. In time the tulips will go dormant and the black eyed susans take over and so you've would have hidden the dying foliage of the tulips effectively. You see tulips get unsightly when they start to go dormant in summer and you need other bloomers to 'distract' the eye and camouflage those yellowing foliage.

Leave the tulips in their places. No need to transplant them unless you'd prefer something else in that area. In fact, I practise layering tulips, daffodils and alliums one group atop each other and they all bloom after one another in one tight spot. Looks like a little bouquet and it's very pretty. And I also plant my tulips close to other perennials and it works well.

Ianna

• tambo747
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Ianna,
    I never thought of layering bulbs. What a cool idea! I wanted to ask you if you dig up the bulbs after yellowing and replant in the fall? The reason why I ask is because, I have a beautiful bulb garden with only a few perennials (rose of sharon, rose shrub, and 2 other plants I forget the name of. I want to put a few more plants but the watering needs are so different. I read bulbs don't like much water and my other perennials do. So I'm not sure what to do? Maybe, I'll just water the perennials individually instead of the whole bed.
    Tammy

• ianna
    15 years ago

I water my beds liberally and have not seen any problems with my bulbs. My garden bed is free draining and that means it' doesn't have water retention issues. It's also a thickly packed bed and tulips happily mingle among the perennials. However if you do wish to transplant the bulbs, do it when the plant goes fully dormant which is around late summer & early fall. You can plant them right away. I might add, that in a location by teh mugo pine, you need not worry about overwatering. The tree will probably take most of that moisture away.

My garden bed is packed with salvia blue midnights, seduma autumn joy, rudbeckia black-eyed susans, blue thistle, lavenders, miscanthus grasses, korean grasses, russian sages(excellent in dry soil), delphiniums, veronicastrum, jerusalem sage, filipendula, achillea, roses, coreopsis, iceland poppies, phlox, echinacea, butterfly bush, thyme, lady;s mantle,, etc.... The tulips are in spots amidsts all these plants.