Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Verbena bonariensis (Tall Verbena)

Posted by rsf416canada Ontario (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 26, 14 at 11:57

Does anyone know if Tall Verbena (tender perennial) plants are available from a garden centre or plant nursery in the Peterborough - Belleville areas? I have tried to grow from seed but germination is proving to be difficult, even with cold stratification. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Verbena bonariensis (Tall Verbena)

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 29, 14 at 8:56

I bought my seeds from Richters in Uxbridge. It reseeds every year. Have you tried winter sowing? I've done them that way and had no problem. Most catalogues also carry the seeds. Marg

o
RE: Verbena bonariensis (Tall Verbena)

Florabunda sells those seeds as do Urban Harvest. I grow these plants easily. they even sprout between my interlocking.

What are you doing that you have trouble growing these plants/ They should be fine in your zone. If you cast those seeds out now, it will still grow to full flower by summer.

My plants germinate from seeds casts about by the previous year's plants. I also amend it further with new seeds. All I do is to sprinkle (not cover) the seeds as it needs sunlight to germinate.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here