Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Toronto Botanical Garden Rhodo Sale

Posted by yugoslava 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 19, 13 at 11:59

Rhododendron and Azalea lovers you are invited to plant sale held at Toronto Botanical Gardens on April 28, 2013. Sale is from 9:30 - 3:30 Want to see what's on sale, check our website: www.onrhodos.com There will also be a selection of companion plants. Not only can you buy plants, but also get soil amendments and advice on cultivation from many members of Rhododendron Society.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Toronto Botanical Garden Rhodo Sale

I only see info on the 2012 sale

o

You are right. I don't know why it hasn't been removed. However, the sale is on. April 28,2013, from 9:30am to 3:30pm.

o

Yugoslava, I have a rhodo for several years now.. I would love for it to grow large and tall but it remains small and looks a bit stunted. What do you recommend I do to make it healthier?

o

"I have a rhodo for several years now.. I would love for it to grow large and tall but it remains small and looks a bit stunted. What do you recommend I do to make it healthier?"

Cardinal rules for growing rhodos in southern Ontario
1. well-drained soil
2. acidic soil
3. soil with lots of organic material
4. consistently moist (never soggy, never bone dry)

You need to create those conditions in the context of your garden. As for light conditions, the will vary depending on the rhododendrons or azaleas you grow.

These are my rhodos...in a raised bed of amended soil.
Native soil was a completely unsuitable limestone derived clay and the large Silver Maple nearby means I have to irrigate them once each week over the summer.

PJM
Haaga

o

smivies, Lovely. I guess the space where I have my plant in is rather tight. Probably not acidic soil too. It does flower but as profusely as yours. It does receive dappled sunlight. Grounds are moist and not soggy. Lots of organic materials. The only issue is space.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here