Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
earilian

potted hibiscus

Earilian
18 years ago

I have a potted hibiscus indoors. Want to drag it outdoors in the summer. Taking in consideration it's a tropical plant - when is a good time to do that? Last year I tried to take it out for a few days but amazingly enough direct sunlight burned tender leaves (Although in tropics I never noticed this sort of problem with outdoor grown hibiscuses).

Comments (8)

• ianna
    18 years ago

Yes, that's likely to happen to most tropical plants. You can still bring your plants out but to an area where it can receive indirect but strong sunlight.

I'm originally from Southeast Asia and noticed this phenomenon with many tropical plants. The reason is likely because back there the plants are protected from the very strong sun by the amount of humidity in the air. The enviroment can feel so humid, you'd be sitting or standing and get soaked in sweat without lifting a finger. In that very heavy type of air, the plants have an invisible greenhouse over them.

Here in Canada, the environment, although some might say feels humid and and hot, is not nearly as humid in Asia. I would say the tropics feels so steamy that it is more like a sauna.

This applies to most tropicals but not all. My small leafed ficus did well as well as cannas which I leave out in the sun all day. (Rubber plants (which are also ficus types) don't do well)

Ianna

• janetr
    18 years ago

Start your hibiscus out in the shade, and increase the exposure to sun a little more every day. In about a week you should be able to put it in full sun without it burning. I do this with my small hibiscus and it happily sits in a western exposure with a good 6+ hours of sun with no burn. My MIL put hers directly into the sun (mother plant of mine) and it burned. Like people, they have to acclimatize more gradually.

• judyswont
    18 years ago

I also have had hibiscus and brugmansia burn from too much sun all at once. I learned the hard way that shade is best for the first couple of weeks. I sometimes trim mine back early in March if it is too straggly looking and it usually puts out some nice new leaves fairly quickly.

Judy

• jroot
    18 years ago

Don't worry too much if the leaves get a little sun burned. The winter grown leaves will fall off anyway. You can even trim them off, and your plant will put out new, smaller leaves.

Don't however leave it out if it is going to be near freezing. I carry mine indoors at night, and outdoors in the morning, depending on the temperature. I've been doing that for 25 years with two of my "trees". They bloom in the winter, and also the summer, but shed their leaves when they go out, and then again when they come in for the winter. New light conditions demand new light receptors.

• Earilian
    Original Author
    18 years ago

what's the lowest outdoor temperature (in Celcius) that hibiscus can tolerate?

• glen3a
    18 years ago

The light of indoors, no matter how sunny or bright, isnÂt as strong as the direct sun of outdoors. The leaves have to gradually adjust for any plant be it a geranium or hibiscus. I believe this can be done without burning the leaves if itÂs gradual. Maybe even total shade at first, especially if the plant hasn't received much sunlight while indoors.

My hibiscus has done very well for the past two years on the deck for the summer. It receives about 4 hours of morning sun.

One website I visited suggested don't put tropical hibiscus outdoors before nights are above 13C, but if we waited until then the plant would be outside for July only. Last year I acclimitized my hibiscus to outdoors in early to mid May. Shade at first and took it back indoors at night if I felt it would be too cool or frost or even if the daytime was just crummy cloudy cool weather.

It bloomed nicely outdoors all summer and tolerated a few cool nights in August, then 4C nights in mid September, before I decided it was time to bring indoors. I was worried the cool nights might "shock" the plant into dropping it's flower buds prematurely, but that didn't appear to be the case. So, it is my theory they are tougher than they appear.

One thing that impressed me was the amount of bloom they had while outdoors. It's definitely a tropical look and people who see it were impressed. Yet, it's not much more difficult to grow than a geranium. This year I saw some beautiful hibiscus at Rona for a decent price so decided to buy another one so I can have two on the deck. That new plant is already outside during nice days, and in at night. I haven't transplanted to a permanent pot yet.

Regarding the plant in general, I read that they prefer to be a bit rootbound? My older plant, in relation to the size of pot, is not really that huge of a plant so I am debating on whether I should just replace some of the older soil, or add compost or something when I put it outside for the summer?

Thanks,
    Glen

• andreammd
    16 years ago

I bought a hibiscus tree this year, and have had it in a pot all summer with wonderful results. I know they don't like the cold, so I should bring it in for the winter. I've heard you have to bring it in in steps - back porch for a few days, then inside. True? Any other tips on making sure it survives the winter indoors? (It will be in the brightest room in the house, but no direct light).

• ianna
    16 years ago

Absolutely it needs to be brought indoors. The steps you have described is sound. If it's going to be a cold night then skip the porch bit and bring it indoors. These are tropical plants and they cannot stand the cold.

As for indoors. It must receive good light and a southfacing window is recommended. During winter, it will go somewhat dormant and it will look a bit poorly. But that's really a form of dormancy. Water less during this period. Once spring returns, it will begin to look healthy once more.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting