Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raptorfan

Can I move my New Dawn rose now?

raptorfan
16 years ago

Two years ago my mom surprised me with a New Dawn rose which, not realizing was it a climber, she planted in a regular bed. I kept cutting it back to keep it in check and meant to replant but for whatever reason, never got around to it. I have an arbour I'd like to plant it against. Can I do it now? If not, when? Anything I should know about moving it so as not to injure it? Special feeding or just compost? Best way to secure it to the structure?

Also, does anyone else grow this rose on an arbour and can tell me about how long it will take to get to a nice size?

Comments (3)

• plantenthusiast_2008
    16 years ago

Raptorfan,

I am not sure what your local conditions are like at the moment, but usually plants are best moved in Spring or Fall, when the soil thaws and the chances of frost are slim. This should be done before the plant leafs out, (when it is still dormant) and should help to minimize transplant shock. You will certainly want to move it before the weather gets too warm. Many people like to 'prune' the roots first in order to help minimize shock as well. You dig a spade in a circle around the outer edge of the rootball (not too close to the plant, you are not trying to cut off all of the roots, just trim them), and then let it be for a few weeks. Oftentimes when using this method it is a good idea to backfill the crevice with loamy soil. After 2-3 weeks the entire root ball is dug up, and then moved to the new location.

Before you begin, dig a good sized hole and amend it with a bit of compost or other humus rich soil. Be sure to mix in some of the native soil with the compost as well. Water the plant after transplanting to help the soil to settle around the roots.

Roses prefer a site in full sun, but you may find that New Dawn will tolerate part sun. You will want to wait before fertilizing it. Depending on how large the plant currently is, you may want to prune it back a little; this is something that is often done when transplanting various plants, trees & shrubs that also helps the plant to develop its' new root system as it will have less top growth to support.

In order to help the plant grow onto its' new support, you should tie it on (as the new shoots grow) with garden twine (we use sisal twine, which will eventually decompose, but you can use many many different things). Do not tie the stems too tightly (you don't want anything that will constrict the canes as they grow) just enough to give it some support and grow freely. These ties should be checked a few times during the growing season to ensure that they are not restricting growth or getting in the way, and are still secure, etc.

When digging your rose up, be sure to try and keep the root ball intact. Do not pull on the stems, or carry it by the stems; it should be handled with care.

New Dawn is usually a very vigorous rose, but how long it will take to become a 'good size' it depends on the age of the plant and exposure, and so on. Over time it grows to approximately 12 - 18 feet in height x 6-10 feet in width.

Good luck with your transplanting!

-Plantenthusiast_2008

• raptorfan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the detailed reply! I didn't know about the trimming of the roots & leaving the plant be. I would imagine I can do that step now before it leafs out. I don't think we'll get anymore frost, but spring can be unpredictable that's for sure!

• ianna
    16 years ago

raptor, it's absolutely safe now to do transplants. Ideally you could have transplanted it back in late fall when the plant was going dormant. However it's just as fine now. Plantenthusiast's recommendations are sound. I might add that you should also prune back the branches so the plant will concentrate it's nutrients on root recovery. At the moment, the plant is probably budding and so just cut above these buds as you would treat a regular shrub rose. Water a day before doing the actually transplanting to allow the plant to absorb moisture - although it won't be necessary, if it has been very wet or rainy in your area. You shouldn't fertilize it at all until it is fully recovered. Personally I prefer using only manure and MYKEs

It's a lovely plant. I had one which I grew on a rose tree. Sadly I had to leave it behind when I transferred homes.