Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindra_gw

Flower fever!

cindra
16 years ago

I have been so impatient waiting, searching and praying for some kind of plant life around my place. Today I was rewarded.

The bloodroot sprung up what seems like overnight and has white buds covering it so maybe the flowers will be open by tomorrow. I also noticed that the snapdragons reseeded themselves again and they are coming up.

I bought two pots of clematis last year that appeared almost dead. I know I'm not suppose to do that but there were two varieties in each pot and for 5 bucks a pot I figured what the heck. By early fall last year I was sure I had lost one and the others were not looking to healthy at all but yesterday when I decided to clean out that bed and prepare it for new plants this year I found out all 4 of them has sprouted!!

Just when I thought spring would never really get here I'm happy to report it really is here.

I am posting this in case someone else out there has the same feelings I was having. Sometimes it helps to know you are not alone!

Happy Spring everyone!

Cindi

Comments (3)

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    16 years ago

Oh Cindi, you are definitely not alone! Everyday I go out there and discover something new peeking out. Yesterday it was the yellow Monkshood I got last year. Last week it was the seven footings of Blue Himalayan Poppies which I started growing from seed 4 years ago. The week before it was the Baptisia Australis (Blue False Indigo) which I also grew from seed and in it's third year I should see flower this year.

Who says you're not suppose to buy plants which look almost dead????? I do it all the time!! :O) You did great with those Clematis and I bet you they are going to look gorgeous when they bloom in the future. I have 8 which I bought at the end of the year a few years ago for $5.00 each. Still a little too early for mine to show any signs of life, but I keep looking every day.

Happy to see you are enjoying all these wonderful surprises coming back at you this spring. It's like children coming home... Well, sort of. :O)

Nicole.

• bonniepunch
    16 years ago

I do the rounds every day and I'm sure I'm driving DH mad with my constant interruptions of "Hey! The Clematis seedlings/ Hops cutting/Rodgersia survived". I was so positive that with the lack of snow cover and cold February and March everything would be dead, that I'm deliriously happy every time I see a bit of green!

Near me is a city run open air fruit/veggie/plant market, and they aren't bad at taking care of their plants, but they aren't great either. They have a reduced rack and I pass by it several times a week looking to see if there's anything I 'need'. I can't remember if it was my DH or his mother that christened it my abused plant store :-) The 'Painter's Palette' Polygonum I got there last year has just shown signs of returning to life today.

BP

• cindra
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Now I definitely feel better just to know I'm not alone. Everyday now my DH goes out with me to see if the bloodroot flowers have fully opened. Each day it's a little bit more.

I announced to someone just the other day that this was my first year to try to winter sow seeds and it was a big flop. The very next day I was looking at those little pots and wishing it had gone better when I noticed about 8 sprouts of Shasta Daisy! Made me out to be a liar but I'm thankful it did! LOL Most of my seeds I always start indoors.

Nicole I am so jealous of your Blue Himalayan Poppies. I planted some seeds and haven't even seen a sprout yet. Your flowers all sound fantastic!

BP, I had to giggle when I read your post because you sound just like me!! Thankfully my DH tries to get in the spirit with me, though he doesn't help much with the gardening. LOL He's patient and he does enjoy the end reward. I've noticed each year he seems to be a bit more interested, so who knows what the future may bring, he may become my best gardening buddy someday. ;-)

It's tough starting over from scratch. We moved and there was not a plant, flower and barely any trees on this 3 acres. It's sad I tell ya, just plain sad. How can anyone live on a property with nothing but yard around them.

Cindi