Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
problems with light fixtures

Posted by maryjanej 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 9, 07 at 16:47

Hi,
I have 2 24" Home-vue brand fluorescent strip.
I have them both on a timer the problem is they won't come on by themselves. I have to rub across the bulbs for them to come on.I've tried with other bulbs and it's the same.They were purchased at a home hardware store in Canada.

Has anyone experienced something like this before?
What would cause this?
Thanks
Mary-Jane

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: problems with light fixtures

Sounds like the ballast is going on you..When you rub the bulbs it creates more friction allowing the bulbs to light.Is this a new unit? If so I would return it.

o

• Posted by jroot 5A Ont. Canada (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 10, 07 at 10:20

I had this problem as well. I don't have it anymore because I made sure that the unit was grounded. Be sure you have used a 3 prong plug, and that all connections are good. Also take serious consideration to what grammas has said. A week ballast will do this as well.

o

This seems to be a common problem - I have the same problem with one of my 24" fixtures. I suppose it's possible I have a grounding problem as well, but I'll never know without ripping the wallboard out to look at the wiring. This place was plumbed and wired by drunken sailors on shore leave and nothing was done right!

When I turn mine on, the bulbs fail to glow properly. I leave it like that and most times it sorts itself out within fifteen minutes or so. If it is still not properly lit by the time I finish breakfast I flick the switch on and off and that always does it.

That would be a pain with yours being on a timer though. Maybe you can just use the timer to turn them off and turn them on the fussy way when you are home and able to do so. But if it is a new fixture and you have the receipt, I'd take it back and get another one like grammas said - the problem likely isn't going to resolve itself.

BP

o

Often as not fluorescent fixtures are NOT to be used with timers (and dimmers) designed for incandesent lighting fixtures. Have you tried removing the timer entirely and seeing if it works from a cold start?

o

Hi guys,
thanks for your help. It probably is the ballast.Since it is well grounded and I have two other brand of ballast connected to the same timer and they work fine.
Thanks
Mary-jane

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here