Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
planningnut

Grape-scented Iris

planningnut
16 years ago

Hello - I grew up with these wonderful, amazing iris that smelled just like grape bubblegum and I know that they are still available, but I cannot locate where..

Does anyone know of where I can get them, or does anyone have any that they would share?

I would just so love to find some!

Thank you so much!

Cheryl

Comments (22)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    16 years ago

I think there are more than one with the scent of grapes, the one I have is Iris pallida variegata.

A......

• planningnut
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Do you know where I can find them? Nurseries here look at me as if I've lost my mind (Sheridan, White Rose (before they went under) and our local nursery) and I'm stuck...

thank you!
    Cheryl

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    16 years ago

Look in any garden center that sells Heritage Perennials (the ones in the blue pot) The link below shows the white striped and also the gold striped pallidas. There are other German Iris (Iris Germanica) that have the same grape fragrance but can't give you any names. Try googling German Iris that smell like grapes and see what you come up with. Hope this helps.

A......

Here is a link that might be useful: Iris pallida

• ralph_in_toronto
    15 years ago

I saw them in a ValueMart garden centre in Toronto last weekend. You will also find them at a Loblaws garden centre. You are looking for a varigated leaf. Here is a link to a picture of them.
    http://www.dkimages.com/discover/DKIMAGES/Discover/Home/Plants/Ornamental-Groups/Bulbous-Plants/Labiatae-Lamiaceae/Iris/Bearded/Cultivars/Iris-pallida-Variegata/Iris-pallida-Variegata-1.html

I had them in containers on my patio, but I lost it a couple yrs back, when it didn't survive the winter. They have a wonderful smell.

Ps: You should add where you are (what Province/city) you live in, in your profile.

• kinglemuelswife
    15 years ago

I have them and love them. I don't know where you are but you can certainly find them at Holland Gallery, Terra and Connon's. Mine are the white/green striped leaves and they do smell just like grape Kool-Aid!

• marricgardens
    15 years ago

I have a tall bearded purple iris that smells strongly like grape. I read somewhere that it was an old victorian type. It should be blooming any time now and when it does it smells grape around here! Marg

• ldeardorff50
    14 years ago

I have grape Kool-Aid scented Iris that I could share.
    Lynn

• marricgardens
    14 years ago

I just found out the name of mine, it's 'Cardinal' and it dates back to 1922. The grape smell is very strong.

• ldeardorff50
    14 years ago

I have your address,I will send the iris's when I can dig them up without hurting them.
    Right now they are in large clumps and will need to be thinned out soon.
    Lynn

• Luv4whtroses
    12 years ago

I have those iris that smell like grape bubblegum. That is the only kind I have and I have it by accident. It was growing on the side of the creek bank near my house and it was the only one there. I now have a bunch of them. They smell wonderful.

• ontnative
    12 years ago

luv4whtroses, are those wild iris you are talking about, Iris versicolor? I never noticed any smell on mine. Must check when they bloom this year.

• Patti Scimeca-Absher
    9 years ago

Don't know if I will get a response as the last post was 3 years ago, but I would love, love, love to get a start. A friend of mine has a deep people bit not verigated leaves, however her bunch is to small to separate.

• marricgardens
    9 years ago

Where are you located?

• Patti Scimeca-Absher
    9 years ago

Near Tulsa, Oklahoma

• Melanie Klipfel
    8 years ago

Marricgardens. My mom has been looking hard for a purple grape scented iris and I think it may be the one you're talking about. My grandmother recently passed and she always had some on the old farm but she moved away from it and the one she had at her new house didn't come back. We have been searching for one to put in the garden. Who has them for sale online ?

• marricgardens
    8 years ago

I'm in Canada. I have 2 grape scented, one is an old historical that may be Cardinal (there are quite a few on the Historical Iris site, HIPS) and the other is iris variegata which has a milder smell. Hope this helps.

• Patti Scimeca-Absher
    8 years ago

Hers is not verigated. Would you have enough to share a couple rhizomes of the other one? (Cardinal) I can email my address, or any other forms of private message Facebook maybe?

• gardener21
    8 years ago

William A Setchell is an historic, and very large purple that was the most fragrant of all of my mother's irises. It smelled just like Concord grapes. Delicious!

• peggyclark100
    8 years ago

Pallida Variegata!

I obtained mine from Schreiners. They have a tremendous selection and excellent root stock. I searched for this Iris after smelling it in someone elses yard ! My question/ comment is that the flower itself is very small and non impressive. :-(. Anyone aware of any similarly fragrant Iris with a better flower ? Does have beautiful cream/green variegated foliage!

Oops, upside down !

• peggyclark100
    8 years ago

• Linda Margaret
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

i have one that smells like grapes but its more of a plum or whiney color trying to find name i was gifted it over 2o years ago she only knew it came from holland

Sponsored