Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
froggedd

Spring? When to start lawn work

frogged
16 years ago

So it looks like Spring may be starting. Today was nice enough to rake up some leaves and pine cones. (yup I did 90% of mine last fall, but the neighbours didn't) I discovered some bare spots along the fence and flower beds which along with some of last years grass issues has got me thinking when should I begin. Things like aerating, dethaching,cutting,seeding, etc I did throw out grass seed last fall but I think it was too litle to late, so this spring I would like to get started right. Im in southern ontario and looking forward to having a nice lawn this summer. Any thought welcome thanks

Comments (6)

• glaswegian
    16 years ago

I am in Southern Ontario as well, and I did all my clean up this morning, as well as extending my flower beds on the front lawn and joining them together

{{gwi:82133}}

{{gwi:82134}}

• ianna
    16 years ago

frogg,

You might be surprised to see that the seeds you sowed last fall, will germinate this spring. There are 2 best opportunities to sow the lawn. Late fall when everything is going dormant and early spring (now really). The grass seeds that will germinate first are the rye seeds. These though will go dormant in hot summer, leaving the other grass (I believe it's bermuda) to keep your lawn green. So expect some yellowing & browning in summer.

Your techniques in preparing the grass is correct. I also would suggest that now is the time to topdress the lawn. Your lawn would benefit with a little sprinkling of good top soil (triple mix). This is optional, but because I have heavy clay soil, I added builder's sand (a gritty type) to the top soil mix just to add a bit of good drainage and air pockets. It's a technique I've borrowed from watching golf turf maintenance. So the idea is that each year I gradually build up the layer in which the grass is growing in.

I also do my reseeding every couple of weeks just to ensure I don't miss a spot. Cut the grass high to keep the grass fresh. It will also help in retaining moisture. I don't do fertilzing with artificial fertilizers and rely on the nutrients provided by the top soil.

Also about watering. soaker hoses are so much more better than overhead sprinklers. In comparison, I find overhead sprinklers to be such a waste of water. The compost in the topsoil helps the soil retain moisture.

Hope this helps.
    Ianna

• cookie8
    16 years ago

I'm sick as a dog but took 15 minutes to tackle a bare spot in the lawn - a quick rake and threw down some seeds. I did have some hecklers my husband and kids kept calling me back inside, I figure the fresh would do wonders - it didn't but seeing my herbs popping up did. I have chives, parsley, tarragon showing sprouts. I'm in Ottawa BTW. I do have a huge cleanup on my hands this year as I was caught offguard with an early dumping of snow in the fall.

• ianna
    16 years ago

cookie, now that's dedicated.

Ianna

• runningtrails
    16 years ago

I'm in the Barrie area and have started also. It's quite dishearteneing to wake up this morning to a smattering of snow on the ground, however!

I painted some wrought iron railing I want to install. I set them where they go to see how they looked the same morning I finished painting them. I left them there and went to work. It immediately rained on them (latex outdoor enamel). I guess I should have checked the weather before I left them there. The paint bubbled up and rubbed off in spots. Now I have to redo them. Oh well! Live and learn.

I did find a huge boulder buried where one railing has to be installed. I'm working on digging it out, but it's huge! I might need a tractor or the truck to pull it out of the hole. It'll look nice in the flower bed, though. There's always a good side!

I'm getting rid of as much grass as possible this spring. Going for mulch, paths, rocks, shrubs and beds - our own park! Who needs grass! It has no redeeming qualities or practical uses and takes chemicals to look really nice.

• frogged
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hello thanks for your replies, I have started but slowly thanks to the weather and work restrictions. I woke up this morning to let the dog out and saw the snow on the roofs... So I turned around went back to bed until it all went away, it only took an hour thank goodness. ( Im not quite hardy as some of the gardeners here!) Oh well here's to spring..?

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH