Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
merricat_gw

Tumbler Crop Failure (Canada-wide)

merricat
16 years ago

Here's what I've been told:

There has been a massive crop failure of the very popular "Tumbler" tomato (F1, indeterminate, genetically engineered to grow well ONLY in smaller containers). As a consequence, there's only enough seed (from last year, I assume?) for greenhouses to grow their own for sale. So instead of $4 for 10 seeds, the cost is going to be about $10 a plant.

I've picked up Tumbling Tom Red and Balcony Charm seeds to take their place. My local seed source (Apache Seeds, Edmonton Alberta) says they're the best substitutes currently available. The germination has been okay (I've got 12 TTR and 16 BC), but I have my doubts about the BC. Any tomato that needs 120 days is in serious trouble in this climate.

Has anyone heard anything about these substitutes? Or about the crop failure itself?

Thanks,

Merri

Comments (5)

• petunia2
    16 years ago

I have grown Tumblers from seed for a number of years since Lois Hole recommended them, and have had great success--they were early and productive! Last year when I went to buy seeds, I was told there was a crop failure and none were available.

This season, I found them again in the T & T Seeds catalogue from Winnipeg, priced at 50 seeds for 10.95 or 15 for 3.95. So I've got them and they're growing once again. Early on before I got the seeds from T & T, Balcony Charm was also recommended as a substitute for Tumblers, so I got some of them and they are started as well. I noticed the same as you--120 days for BC compared with 60 for Tumblers! Will see how they do.

• merricat
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sigh. I wish I had posted earlier, then. I'm a half-hour north of Edmonton (small town), and I was told that seeds wouldn't be available throughout the country. If I had known about T&T, I would definitely have bought them there. At this point, my only hope is the Tumbling Tom Red (something like 60 days).

Tumbler are so sweet and productive. I'm really going to miss them this year.

• bonniepunch
    16 years ago

Wow - I hadn't heard about a seed crop failure. That's too bad - I had a couple of Tumbler plants last year and they were awfully good. Normally I'm not a big cherry fan, but I usually grow one or two because they're my tomato source for the first few weeks, and I really liked this sort.

BC takes 120 days? That makes no sense! Even big beefsteak types take less than that at 90-100 days. Is it not a cherry or are they wrong about the maturity date?

BP

• merricat
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I don't know if they're wrong about the date, Bonnie, but they claim that both are accurate: a compact cherry tomato with a maturation of 120 days (at least, the envelope claims it's a cherry). I agree: it makes no sense. Here's the blurb from
    http://www.mckenzieseeds.com/English/store_product.php3?ID=130127&SID=bd6a9ce3ed8f258960abeba59d0189dc

Tomato Balcony Charm (130127) Reliable high yields from this early maturing tomato will definitely please your taste buds. Round firm fruits on this tomato bush make it a perfect variety to grow in pots or balcony containers. Whether in the garden or container be sure to keep soil evenly moist. Determinate variety. Days to maturity: 120 days after transplanting ~~~~~ And here's a bit of info I found with Google, though I can't seem to connect to the site: " Greenland Garden Centre Talk Show Topics Balcony Charm. This is a great replacement for Tumbler Tomatoes, which will be very difficult to find this year. Early maturing with very high yields. ..."

And finally, from http://ventmarin.free.fr/passion_tomates/tomates_b/tomates_b.htm

Balcony Charm Fruit rouge de 3 centimètres de diamètre. Plant nain de 30 centimètres de hauteur. Variété originaire de Russie. (Fruit is red and 3 cm in diameter...so I guess it's a large\-ish cherry)

So... yeah. It's apparently a cherry-size, and it's got 120 days to maturity. I hope my Tumbling Tom Reds fare better.

• beegood_gw
    16 years ago

I was at Salisbury green houses yesterday and they had tomatoes called Red Tumbling. Was told they are very much like tumblers and are meant for hanging baskets.Will get some when and if it ever warms up.

Sponsored