Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
1822betty

Fern Leaf Peony

Betty Levar
13 years ago

I bought a fern leaf peony last year and planted in a bed that gets good drainage. Should I be seeing something coming up already as my other peonies are up or didn't it make it.

Comments (11)

• ianna
    13 years ago

all depends on the variety, depth of planting and when you planted it.

If this was planted last year - then perhaps things should start poking thru the ground by now. If you had just planted it in the ground, it may still be a while and you shouldn't expect it to flower the same year.

• Betty Levar
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi: It was a tenufolia plena, planted it in the spring I think. Seemed to have a nice root when it arrived and I followed the instructions on planting depth, etc. I will just have to keep looking and hope it will pop up soon.

• ianna
    13 years ago

perhaps it's just slow in coming up. The weather has been so strange lately and so possibly it is reacting (or not) to the lack of warmth. So for the moment, patience is key.

• green_thumb_guy
    13 years ago

Hi Betty,

I'm in Brampton and my Fernleaf Peonies are already poking thru. I can actually see buds forming.

You could carefully clear a bit of the soil away to see if you see their red shoots coming along

:)

• Betty Levar
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Green Thumb Guy: I carefully moved the soil as you suggested and I see white roots that are alive and firm but nothing other than that. Hope this is the peony as this is the second one I purchased and if this one doesn't make it I don't think I will try again as they are quite expensive. Do fernleaf peonies have white roots as the other peonies have red roots, don't they? I also read they are the first peonies up in the spring but not these, everything else is 6" tall. Oh well patience I guess. Betty

• ianna
    12 years ago

betty did you get them at the Canada Blooms? And what instructions did you get when you purchased the root.

• Betty Levar
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi: I ordered it from Lindenberg Seeds in Manitoba. I can't find the instructions right now but I did amend the soil for proper drainage and followed the planting instructions. The root was a nice size when it arrived. I even put a metal cage over the plant to make sure the squirrels didn't dig it out. I was so looking forward to seeing it grow. I did find the tag and it says full sun or part shade and add organic matter to the planting hole. I'll keep looking to see if anything comes up but I have my doubts. Betty

• ianna
    12 years ago

add some bone meal too. If it was planted too deep it could cause the delay you mentioned. However since it's roots are fine, I am confident it will eventually pop out. just don't expect it to bloom this year. You would rather have if fully recovered than exert itself to produce blooms. Next season, it will probably do better and then in the following season it should bloom profusely.

• Betty Levar
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for your information. I didn't plant it too deep as it said on the instructions but I will add some bone meal as soon as it stops raining. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Thanks

• green_thumb_guy
    12 years ago

I didn't amend my soil. I woUls have thought that you would see shoots. Can you see the root that you planted?

I can't honestly say what colour the new roots would be

• Betty Levar
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I can see some white roots and they are firm and I think it is the peony but there is nothing coming from those roots, above the ground. I still have hopes that perhaps it is just slow and maybe something will appear. Patience, Betty, patience.