Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Milky Spore

Posted by cookie8 zone 5 ON (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 28, 08 at 21:02

Anyone know why they don't sell this in Canada? I have the worst lawn ever and think I have to start with the grubs - I was hoping to tackle it with nematodes and milky spore but the gardening centre said ms isn't available in Canada? My husband so wants a quick fix - chemicals - but we have 3 young children and pets plus I would like something a little more friendly. We have 1/2 acre so there's a lot of work to do. thx for any input.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Milky Spore

The bacteria is not registered here. You may find it here and there, but it will be a rare thing. It's also not particularly effective in our colder climate, and it's crazy expensive! I've read claims that it takes years to build up adequate populations of bacteria in the soil to be truly effective. Nematodes will help to some degree, but aren't perfect either - they will need to be applied during cool weather and probably applied yearly.

For the most part, because of their harmful effects on bees, birds and aquatic life (and of course people, but it takes a lot to harm a person), I am very anti-pesticide for home use, and prefer to control insects by not growing plants that attract problem pests and by learning to live with some others.

I would avoid planting anything the adults feed on. Maples, apples, plums, cherries, virginia creeper and hollyhocks are all things that come to mind. Getting rid of feeding adults will help get rid of the grubs in your lawn.

BP

o
RE: Milky Spore

thanks, I'm desperate the yard is a mess! I don't mind weeds and all and do what I can to keep them down but now there is dead patches and about 1/4 of the yard has been torn up from skunks - we have almost 1/2 acre so it's pretty bad.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here