Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunita_fleuriste

Advice on what to plant on shady fence

sunita_fleuriste
15 years ago

Hi all,

Any suggestions on what vine I can plant to run up a trellis in a shady area?? I would say that this area probably gets 4hrs of sun in the morning and nothing else.

It doesn't have to be a flowering plant.

Comments (5)

• ianna
    15 years ago

I'm partial to a climbing hydrangea... It won't flower till the 3rd year. It produces a wonderful twisty trunk with peeling barks which looks very interesting during winter. It can look like a 'flat' looking tree against the wall. I train mine against the wall with wires and twine. And like most vines - this can get aggressive later on and so prune it back every year.

• ontnative
    15 years ago

My personal recommendation would be a clematis. Many of these are excellent in part shade, especially as you describe, which is morning sun/afternoon shade. Some suggestions are (1) clematis jackmanii, (2)c. macropetala (e.g. Blue Bird, Lagoon, Rosy O'Grady, or Maidwell Hall), (3) c. vitacella (e.g. Betty Corning, Polish Spirit, Alba luxurians or Etoile Violette) (4) c. alpina (e.g. Blue Dancer, Constance, Frankie, or Willy). Honeysuckle vine should also do fine, (e.g. Lonicera Mandarin, L.Goldflame or L. Dropmore Scarlet). Variegated Porcelain Vine is another suggestion, (Ampelopsis brevipednuculata 'Elegans'). Climbing hydrangea is excellent for a sturdy wall or even a chain link fence, but it does need a strong support and it takes several years to look like anything and start flowering.

Here is a link that might be useful: clematis Betty Corning (bottom of page)

• weezi
    15 years ago

I second the advice about clematis. I've got a Clematis macropetala 'Jan Lindmark' on a north facing fence, where it flowers reasonably well in spring, and it doesn't even get 4 hours of sun. It's also fairly maintenance-free because it doesn't need much pruning.

I also have a Dutchman's Pipe (aristolochia durior (macrophylla)) on the same north-facing fence. It grows very quickly (20-30 ft), and in 5 years has made its way up the trellis, up my neighbour's downspout and around the slats of their 2nd floor deck which overlooks my back garden, as well as over an unsightly telephone cable that cuts across the top of my property. I like to think that it provides the neighbour's deck with some greenery at the same time as it gives me a little privacy (at any rate, they haven't complained about it) -- but don't plant it in a spot where you MUST have something small. Its flowers are insignificant - the attraction is the large heart-shaped leaves.

Here is a link that might be useful: NC State University - Aristolochia durior

• sunita_fleuriste
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow thanks everyone for these suggestions! I thought I was limited to virginia creeper or ivy!

I'd love to get a climbing hydrangea and clematis. Thanks for the info re Dutchman's Pipe too...that looks like it would be quick!

S

• ianna
    15 years ago

sunita,

I should mention that other than the climbing hydrangea, I love intertwining several different vines together and to that effect, I also have lonicera dropsmore and another vine which produces heart shaped leaves (unfortunately I have no name for this one). The lonicera will also develop a woody base as it matures and it's beautiful (although loniceras are susceptible to mildew).

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting