Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
origami_master

Canna 'City of Portland' virused?

origami_master
14 years ago

I bought a bag of cannas from Costco a few weeks ago, and potted them up. I noticed two strange things:

1. some of the shoots (still unfurled) have a crystalline white substance on them. I don't know if it's the soil or if it's the water (the water is rather mineral salt heavy). I looks like the plant is exuding them (sort of like how some plants force salt out of their leaves). Has anyone seen this happen to their cannas/plants and can anyone offer suggestions to deal with it? I've tried flushing out the pot with water but it doesn't seem to help.

2. the second leaf that unfurled all seem to have stripes on them. I have been growing cannas long enough to know this is some sort of canna virus. my question is, should I bother taking them back for a refund (I don't have the receipt any more) or just toss them? I still have half the bag (about 6 rhizomes) that I haven't planted yet. I've read that the virus will only spread to other cannas that are growing directly next to the diseased ones. I have some saved cannas that I grew from seed last year - would it be alright to plant my saves ones in one corner of the bed, and these (if I keep them) at the opposite corner? How about keeping these diseased ones in containers?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County