Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to find Camassia

Posted by purple-anemone Toronto, On (My Page) on
Fri, May 23, 14 at 7:06

I'm looking for Camassia (indian Hyacinth) , but can not find it at Humber nurseries or Van der meer or anywhere. (I live in Toronto) Should I just keep looking there or is there a special place to buy these?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to find Camassia

In your search process try using native plant searches. There are some suppliers that specialized in native and wildflowers. I know in the Evergreen Brickworks, they had a vendor there that specialized in those types of plants. I however do not know their next schedule.

Also try the Toronto Botanical gardens.

o

You may find Camassia in the fall bulb catalogues. I purchased Camassia quamash from Botanus in 2012. They offered two species fall of 2013.

o

I agree, Fall bulb catalogs.

Camassia quamash has always been a disappointment for me in southern Ontario. It doesn't flower much (compared to the amount of leaves) and tends to die out unless conditions are 'just' right. It does self seed when happy.

Camassia leichtlinii subsp. suksdorfii (Blue Danube) is bigger and more vigorous for me. It requires dividing every 4-5 years to promote bigger blooms. It doesn't self seed here though.

o

My experience has been the same as smivies. I have had camassia leichtlinii (Dutch hybrid?) growing here for years and it blooms reliably every spring. Blooming now, as a matter of fact. I have tried C. quamash many times, with very limited success. I also have the native Camassia scilloides (one plant) which grows and flowers well, just doesn't spread. It is also flowering now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here