Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Eliminating Groundhogs

Posted by mrsbeasley 4a Northern Ont (My Page) on
Fri, May 3, 13 at 7:18

My 10 acre field is overrun with Groundhogs, They make mounds so high the mower gets hung up on them. This year they gotta go, so my intent is to find ALL their entrances, and then eliminate the groundhogs.

I would like to make smudge sticks or smoke sticks, stick them down the known holes, and mark where the smoke comes up. I have a quantity of tent pegs with bright orange tape tied to them at the ready, and my plan is to watch the field for smoke, and go to where the smoke is exiting the ground and mark it.

Can anyone advise me on how to make a stick that makes very visible smoke.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Eliminating Groundhogs

Once you identify the holes what is your plan for eliminating the groundhogs?

o
RE: Eliminating Groundhogs

Why not just drop a lit firecracker down the hole and wait for them to come up? Then you can take care of them. Sorry not meaning to offend anyone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here