Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dahlia Bulbs

Posted by cookie8 zone 5 ON (My Page) on
Tue, May 22, 07 at 8:20

I planted some Dahlia bulbs in the last week or so. Now I am wondering if I put them in the right way. Does it matter? They had hairs and roots? all around and I think I put the root? side down. They weren't pointed at all like tulip bulbs. And, can I dig them up to make sure I did it right? Thanks so much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dahlia Bulbs

check the dahlia forum. they have so much knowledge it will make you burst into flames.

o

• Posted by jroot 5A Ont. Canada (My Page) on
    Tue, May 22, 07 at 20:01

I love my dahlias. Most dahlias will come with a bit of stem. On the stem, near the tuber are "eyes". These are where the new shoots will come from. Some people, who think they are tidying up the tuber, will cut these off but they won't get the plant. The eyes are the important thing. The eyes go up, the roots go down. If you planted the roots downward, then you are doing it correctly.

I note that you are from Ontario. If you are anywhere near Rockwood, I may have some extra dahlias left over. I particularly like the tall varieties.

o

Thanks for the offer jroot. I am in Ottawa, so pretty far away. This is my first time trying Dahlias, I love Zinnias so I am sure I will like the full look of Dahlias, if I get them to grow of course. I will visit the Dahlia forum. Thanks.

o

Dahlias are tubers, just like potatoes. If you have ever grown potatoes before you have a pretty good idea of the planting process. They need eyes to grow into a plant.
The FUN part is digging them up in the fall and seeing how this nice polite little tuber you placed in the ground has turned into a giant alien mass.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here