Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marricgardens

my turn to vent!

marricgardens
15 years ago

My little aussie doesn't like to be left alone. The other night we went out and left the two dogs in the house. Rosie is the only one who finds other things 'interesting'. Today I went to water my plants and found she had not just uprooted some of my coleus but actually eaten a few. Others she just ate the leaves from. I'm hoping the 'sticks' she left will grow again. Maybe I'll play it safe and put them both in the garage next time! Marg

Comments (3)

• garnet69
    15 years ago

What kind of aussie do you have? I've got a blue heeler.

Instead of putting her in the garage, why not give her something of her own to chew on. Last year when my kids got a kitten, we noticed that the little furry toy mice kept disappearing. We soon found out where they were going - into the dog's tummy. We figured she was eating them because she was bored or jealous and she only did it when she was alone. So now when she's left alone for extended periods time we just make sure she has a rawhide bone (a rare treat) or some peanut butter in her Kong (she loves that) and she leaves the mice alone.

Aussies are pretty smart dogs, she was telling you something. It's too bad about the coleus, hopefully it'll grow back. At least she didn't eat anything toxic.

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Rosie is a red merle and Riley is a black tri color. Riley plays with the ball, plays frisbee and soccer. I have yet to find something Rosie will play with. She won't play ball, frisbee or anything else. We have started her on agility which she seems to like. She's smart as a whip though. Loves to climb anything. Marg

• greylady_gardener
    15 years ago

Separation/boredom anxiety issues can be difficult to deal with. Years ago we had a sweet girl that really got too big to fit in the car when we had the kids in there too, so we started leaving her home more. No matter what we did, the minute we walked out the door, she would run downstairs and leave a little (big!) pile in the middle of the rug. I talked to the Vet about it and he said she was punishing us for not taking her. :)I hope you can resolve your issues soon.
    I did want to comment on the subject of rawhide bones, especially the ones that have the big 'knot' at each end. I had never given that type to any of our other dogs, but when we got our first greyhound a few years ago, I gave her one. She happily took it into the other room into her crate and was chewing it. Several minutes later she came into the room I was in and was walking very slowly with her head down. Then I noticed that she was kind of weaving or staggering. I kept calling her but she didn't look at me. It was then that I noticed she was drooling and not able to breathe properly. She had the 'knot' off the end of the bone stuck in her throat and was choking. Thank goodness she came out to us for help, otherwise she could have just choked to death in her crate. We were able to dislodged the piece of knotted rawhide and she is fine.
    I had no idea that those pieces were separate; I really hadn't given it any thought I just assumed that each end was tied in a knot. I am not against the rawhide bones, but I do try to warn people that they should be used under supervision, just in case.
    gg

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor