Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mulch much?

Posted by mitanoff z3/4? Ontario (My Page) on
Tue, May 6, 08 at 9:25

Hello:
I have a mixture of bone dry felled trees and freshly torn down (max 3" diameter) trees (hardwood)on my property. I am building raised vegetable beds and I was originally thinking of putting down gravel inbetween and around the beds. Now I'm wondering if I can use those dead trees/branches by renting a chipper and using it as mulch around the beds instead. I'm worried about the newer trees. I don't know if I need to dry them out or if they'll be "sappy". What is the proper course of action?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mulch much?

If the sap is a concern, why not dry out the chips in the sun. Can you not spread them out on a tarp and let them dry out naturally? I also think that using wood chips as mulch in between vegetable beds is a great idea.

o

• Posted by kanuk Zone4 QC (My Page) on
    Thu, May 8, 08 at 7:35

I am presently using wood chips in the way you describe. We had several trees cut last summer and the tree removal company dumped a truck load of chips for our use. Initially the large pile started heating up and 'composting'. I assisted the process by using making holes throughout the pile using rebar.
When the pile cooled down I started using the chips. I lined the paths throughout our potager garden and they really did a nice job. I re-chipped some of the chips using my own chipper/shredder and incorporated them into my raised beds(organic matter). They have been extremely useful. Evidently they stop weeds from growing on the paths or anywhere they have been used as mulch.
I say ... use them on your paths knowing that you'll have to top them up in time or as a temporary path covering until you decide upon something other in the future. You can't go wrong.
ps. The bone dry wood could prove difficult to chip using the chipper. Chipping them fresh seems to work better... at least for me.

o

PERFECT!
Thanks so much for your reply. Our neighbours are burning their felled trees and I keep thinking there's got to be a better way to get rid of that wood.
I'll be renting a chipper later this month!

o

• Posted by kanuk Zone4 QC (My Page) on
    Thu, May 8, 08 at 21:07

No problem. Let us know how it works out for you. Be sure to wear gloves & eye protection when using the chipper.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here