Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19709659

Crappy weather continues

User
12 years ago

Hi Everyone!

I'm north of Kingston ON. Been working up excitement like so many gardeners to do spring gardening. What a bust this has been. I've planted only a few veggies from seeds: beets, carrots, cabbage and some parsnip. Rain, cold to colder temperatures, wet soil - what a disappointing spring this is.

I'm trying to put in new garden beds at our new place but that has been slow to.

It's too cold to even consider hardening off my plants I've started without putting them into severe shock.

Are you the same in your area?

Dreaming of warmer days ahead,

Peggy

Comments (6)

• ianna
    12 years ago

I'm in the same funk Peggy. Too wet to do anything. I've been hoping to get started on making a raised vegetable bed but that's on hold until we get better weather. Still, watching a BBC show titled Edible Garden (OWN)has been filling me up with dreams of a vegetable paradise.

• ianna
    12 years ago

and it continues.. :-(

• Spellbound
    12 years ago

I know, I'm depressed too. I want to direct-sow a lot of seeds because I got a late start on indoor-sowing this year. But now because of the weather my sowing is being pushed back later and later. I'm moving in September and so afraid that my delayed-seeding means that nothing will come into bloom until after I leave!

This is so frustrating.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We've just started today entering the more seasonal temperatures forecast over the next 14 days but it's blackfly season. Now living in the country they are out in swarms. At least one more week of them too. So I have to gear up in a netting top for bugs, long sleeves, long jeans, long socks.

Spellbound if you local night time temperatures are above 45F check your seed packets for sowing. You may be able to sow some seeds now. And you could put down dark garbage bags (weigh them down) on the dirt to help warm it up too. Just a thought. I want to plant from seed marigolds around my veggie gardens to help deter unwanted insects but like you they now won't bloom until later in the summer. I certainly get where you are coming from. One year the snow melted early of the front garden beds in our last home. For easter I had all of these cute pansy silk flowers in bunches from the dollar store and ivy. I stuffed them in my garden bed under our front window. I had more people stop and ask me where I got the plants. They thought they were real. I brought them closer to see they were cheap silks - I even got a few more and did my flower boxes by the door. Again more rave reviews. Funny thing - they cheered me up too. I stuck them in my garden beds during the summer to fill in holes in the garden with colour - you couldn't tell the difference with the stuff mixed in with the greenery growing.

This has been a horrid garden season all over North America. You are not alone at all. Maybe you could buy a few plants to put in to cheer yourself up. I know plants are not cheap anymore but if you looked for the ones that grow quickly in the warmer days it may help you feel better.

If some of your seeds definitely will not bloom before you go, maybe you could save some for your new place? I wish I had ideas to help.

My garden this year is all brand new so my perennials that I love are growing from seeds - no blooms this year just greenery. I am planting a lot of calendula, cosmos, nasturtiums, morning glories to trail over rocks and fill in spots on the ground, not trellis. Calendula and cosmos will bloom a second time if you dead head them regularly. And I do cut them down for a bulk second bloom period in August.

This is what I found on the web:

Nasturtium
    Bachelors Buttons (cornflower)
    Cosmos (all types)
    Zinnia
    Marigold
    Nigella (Love in a Mist)
    Candytuft
    Sweet Alyssum
    Sunflower

I keep running into Zinnias on lists. 6-8 weeks from sowing seeds. Multiple colours and varieties. I've never considered zinnias before - might just pick up a few packets of seed now myself and give it a whirl.

Cheers,
    Peggy

• wlongon5b
    12 years ago

Spellbound and Peggy,
    I started my marigold and zinnia seeds a week ago in my 2L pop bottles I use for winter sowing. Despite the cold wet weather they germinated in a couple of days.I have left the lids on until it warms up, hopefully this weekend, so the weather forecasters say. It is one way to get your seeds going quickly.
    Wendy

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Not a bad idea Wendy. I'm working on landscaping and new garden beds. I'm at the point now where I am starting to direct sow seeds in the next week because the weather is finally going to start going up to seasonal temperatures. My indoor plant starts are busting to get outside. As I get those going I'll be starting perennial seeds to grow this summer for next year. Even though I have a lot of seeds, I plan to keep picking up packets of seeds I like and starting them throughout the month of June.

I do have WS containers and I think I will try that too outside for things that need a little TLC to start.

Great tip - thanks Wendy!