Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Alien Invasion?

Posted by lanakolo Z5 ONTARIO (My Page) on
Fri, May 12, 06 at 10:42

Something extraordinary happened yesterday. When I went outside to check out how my garden is doing, I noticed that my favourite evergreen has turned brown. I was shocked! Just like that, from one day to another? When I got closer, my shock was even bigger. If what I saw would've been in a movie, I would've known right away that it is an alien invasion, but it was my back yard and I was trying to find out more rational explanation... I found none! The whole plant is covered by some oddly translucent brown gelatinous things. I had the feeling that at any moment it will start moving, but then I kept reminding myself that this is real life and there should be an normal explanation. I took pictures of this staff. Please take a look and let me know if you have any idea of what could that be.
Lana

Here is a link that might be useful: Alien Invasion?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Alien Invasion?

• Posted by janetr Ottawa USDA 4a (My Page) on
    Fri, May 12, 06 at 11:34

Probably cedar apple rust

Here is a link that might be useful: Explanation, some pics

o

Oh dear. That's not good news. Once it is infected it will remain infected. Hate to say it but you may need to get rid of the tree outright.

Ianna

o

Don't know what is is but, I had the exact same "goop" on one grouping of cedars I have.....I had it once many years ago and it never came back.
I looked at your photos and the only difference is that my shrubs weren't covered as heavily as yours are...mine maybe 1/4 of your condition.
I just used my garden hose on heavy spray to remove the brown gelatinous stuff and rubbed and sprayed, and rubbed and sprayed. There was a buildup of fallen needles(is that what you call cedar foliage?) that got flushed out of the inner branches at the same time. It came off and never returned....I also thinned out the shrubs to allow more air/light to circulate.
Good luck to you, Justine

o
ps. Alien Invasion?

Oh yeah, at the time I thought they were some kind of insect eggs...
great gardening to you, Justine

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here