Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mock Orange

Posted by tishfromwis z5 WI (My Page) on
Wed, May 21, 08 at 10:50

I hope it is not too late, but my Mock Orange has not bloomed yet either. I've had it for two years and this is the third Spring. It is still too early to tell for sure if it will bloom this year or not, as it is only the third week in May. If it doesn't bloom this year, I would like to root prune like onewheeler suggested (with great instruction, I must say, but my question is when?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mock Orange

I have a mock orange as well, and it has its buds already. My in-laws had one that wouldn't bloom for 5 years, and we finally figured out it was because my father-in-law was pruning it every year. They bloom on old wood, so if you're pruning, don't. They stopped pruning and it has bloomed every year since. I don't know if you've already gone through this before, but I just thought I'd mention it. Hope you get some blooms soon!

o
RE: Mock Orange

• Posted by jroot 5A Ont. Canada (near (My Page) on
    Thu, May 22, 08 at 2:48

I planted one in 2001. It did not bloom at all... ever. It clearly was a mock orange, but for some reason was not happy. I root pruned it, pruned in the late summer after it should have bloomed, stopped fertilizing it as it was quite large, tried every trick in the book. It must have been asexual or something. Anyway, it is now in my compost pile. Strange though, as there is another one closeby which blooms happily every year. Sometimes, one gets a dud.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here