Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crimson Queen & Red Dragon Japanese Maples

Posted by luv_gardening___ont 5a (My Page) on
Sun, May 16, 10 at 11:13

Hello. These are my first Japanese Maples. I would love some advice on amounts of sun they should receive. Also if they need any extra care for the first year other than lots of water. Do they need food? If so how much and how many times. Any tips at all would be welcome.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crimson Queen & Red Dragon Japanese Maples

They normally need full sun but I've set mine in my part shade garden. They do get a good amount of sun (6 hrs)there.

With any tree, water the plants first - a day before transplanting.

Dig a good hole, add a small amount of bonemeal and composted manure and compost. Add your tree and water well. Do not fertilize until the roots are well established. This is usually the next year.
With any trees and shrub, you need to make sure you give it consistent watering for the first year until the roots are well established. But don't overwater.

I don't normally mulch but this is a good way to keep moisture consistent over the summer period and good in keeping the temps steady in winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here