Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mitanoff_gw

Mail order plants - my experiences

mitanoff
14 years ago

This was my first year buying plants through the mail.

I ordered from:

--Brecks

--Veseys

--Botanus

--Lindenberg

(Yeah, I went sort of crazy).

Brecks and Lindenberg made substitutions for me. I didn't like any of them.

Brecks has refunded the money. .or so they said. I haven't seen it yet.

I have only just informed Lindenberg that I would like a refund for the subs they made.

A few things from this experience:

1. Unless it's really special, I will not order mail order plants again.

__a. Almost everything I ordered, I could find in various stores locally.

__b. the size and maturity of the local plants far outweigh the $2 or $3 difference in the cost of ordering by mail. For example: I ordered a daylily from botanus and got 1 fan. I bought locally and although the price was a little higher, it was freshly dug, huge plant, large root system, and had about 3-4 fans on it.

__c. One has to be prepared to pot up and store the mail order stuff until ready for outside or get ready for either dried out or rotted plants.

2. I would order bulbs again

3. I got a gift from a friend from "ttseeds" and they had the biggest bulbs (with an attached root system and scales falling off) of all 4 of the places that I ordered from. I'm new to this, but I think that's good!

2. Wondering what the general policy is of stores that do a replacement without informing you? Do they require that you return the plant? Do they generally refund the money?

Anyway, thought this might help anyone who has not ordered through the mail before and is thinking about it.

Comments (14)

• ianna
    14 years ago

I've only ordered from Vesseys this year. It all worked out great.

Except for one other mail order company, I've not had any order substituted. However this is because I specifically requested a no-substitution option. I was wondering if were given the option for substitution when you placed your orders.

As for choosing plants. Mail order plants are normally priced higher than locally available plants. Add shipping and handling costs and this purchase is even more expensive. For this reason, I don't usually mail order plants, unless it's something hard to find. I opt for ordering seeds and bulbs instead. If I absolutely need to mail order a plant, I would chose nearby mail order companies instead a company further away as it may take longer for a plant to be processed and delivered, and it may cost higher to ship. Also, I have placed orders for plants if there's any savings in higher volumes. For instance lavenders are easily availble at $2.+ per pot, but I could get them at $1 per plant for a larger volume from a mail order place....

Mail order plants are usually smaller in size. They arrive bare-rooted and ready for planting. This is the norm. And yes for the same price or less- you will find them in garden centres already planted and larger in size. Size is not the focus, but quality is...

Always pay via a credit card or paypal to protect your purchase. If you have a complaint, then ask the store to refund your credit card. I once had an order mixed up. The company refunded me by crediting my card and offering the plant for free.

As for return policies - check each mail order company's condition and know what you are getting into before placing an order.

Ianna

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    14 years ago

Ordering by mail is pricey BUT when I'm looking for new or unusual this is what I do. I just received 3 double flowering Hellebores from Garden Import, when I opened the box up I was grinning from ear to ear. The plants were 3 times the size I was expecting and there's a good chance they will bloom next year. Earlier on I got 4 BIG healthy Begonia tubers (scented flowers) from them. I have been ordering from them for years and have never been disappointed yet, so, yes it is expensive but the quality is there. To me it's worth it.

Annette

• consentida
    14 years ago

My first experience ever ordering plants by mail has been rather positive. I made it at Richter's for about 18 plants and although I ordered them in two different occasions, they agreed to charge me shipping and handling only once. When I received them about 2 weeks ago, apart from the fact that I found them smaller than I had imagined, all the plants except for one were in good shape and exactly what I had ordered. I followed their instructions and called to report that one of my jasmine sambac plants had 3 leaves that were drying out( being so small, 3 leaves represent practically half of the plant). They took note and I'm supposed to monitor the jasmine for 2 months to see how it behaves and call them back to get a replacement or refund if I'm not satisfied. No fuss at all and very cordial interchange. So, we'll see what happens and if they make good on their promise should I lose the plant.

• oldflowergirl
    14 years ago

I order from Botanus (Langley, BC) every year and have always received lovely healthy plants. Their customer service is excellent as well. The cost of shipping is relatively low as I live in BC as well.

I did have an unfortunate experience with Hortico. Ordered a "hard to find" HT Rose from them last Fall and received confirmation that it was available and would be shipped in the Spring of 2009. I was elated. The time requested for shipping came and past, before I started inquiring; once, twice, and then finally through a garden forum. Finally got a reply saying that the particular Rose I had ordered had perished over the winter and was therefore unavailable. I was very disappointed. I wondered just when they were going to inform me of this on their own? They did refund my money (Visa), but I won't order from them again.

As far as replacements, I always check "no replacements" or mention it on my order and have never had a problem.

• ontnative
    14 years ago

Most of the things about mail order plants you have learned the hard way. Been there, done that!! In my area of Southern Ontario, I can find most plants that I want either at local nurseries or plant sales such as RBG or the Univ. of Guelph. The companies that I would recomend ordering by mail from, unfortunately no longer do mail order, e.g. Mason-Hogue north of Oshawa, The Perennial Garden in B.C. Another one, Whitehouse Perennials no longer sends regular plants by mail, but they still send hostas and daylilies. These nurseries sent well-grown, mostly potted plants in excellent condition, and very well packed. I was sceptical about ordering from as far away as B.C. but these too arrived in great shape. At present I cannot personally recommend a place to order regular perennials by mail in Canada. I have ordered from Gardenimport in Toronto several years, but it seems every year they were "out of" certain plants that I ordered, so gave me credit to use the following year. Also their prices are definitely on the higher side compared to the equivalent plant bought on site at a nursery or plant sale. If you live near Hamilton/Burlington or Guelph, some of the very best deals are to be found at the RBG Plant sales, 1st Thursday and Saturday in May, and the U. of Guelph Arboretum plant sale, generally the 2nd or 3rd Sat. in September. Great plants, great prices! RBG has a list of their sale plants available on their web site before the sales so one can peruse the list and decide what to buy. If you check the RBG website, I believe they also sell plants once or twice a week throughout the summer, as well as having a wrap-up discount sale in September. The U.of G. Arboretum has a printed catalogue available a couple of weeks before their sale for the same purpose. It usually costs about $3.

• newine_gw
    14 years ago

I have been ordering mail order plants for years...so here is my accumulated wisdom (and it didn't come cheap)I only order lilies and peonies from places that actually grow them themselves...S-W Gardens, Lilynook, Parkland Perennials, Estate Perennials etc.....lilacs from Select Plus in Quebec....and every summer there is a trip down to Daylilies of the Field in Oro Medonte (you point,he digs)Gardenimport is good for the harder to find stuff, although they are pricey. They do, however, stand behind their goods...any problems are speedily resolved.All of the mail order companies that you have mentioned have to get their plants from another supplier...and sometime the supplier is far, far away....and quite often in another continent.I also frequent local plant sales and am a rabid plant trader and demolition site salvager.

• silvana365
    14 years ago

hi: i only mail ordered once and while i was happy with the plants i was not happy with the substitutions - I had no idea that substitutions were possible!!!

The seller refunded my money.

I may order again, but i'll be very careful up front to specify no substitutions.

• legless_marine
    14 years ago

Great thread idea.

Had a positive experience with Stokesseeds.ca for Seeds, but a dismail experience with henryfields.ca for Asparagus crowns.

I ordered Asparagus from them April 4. Others had similar cultivars/pricing, but Henryfields offered "2 year" Asparagus. For the few extra few dollars, getting a jump on the time-to-harvest seemed like a good idea.

I still havn't received it. I was hoping to have them in the ground May 1, with the rest of my tubers/bulbs. After being told several times it was "Just about to Ship", I asked to talk to a manager, "Aaron", who told me it had just shipped, and unapologetically asked me "what did it matter when I got it in the ground, as I wouldn't be able to harvest this year anyhow".

Our asparagus, if it even arrives, will be 6 weeks late into the ground... which makes for 1/3 of our growing season.... Which means less root reserves, which means less yield next year. Yes, it matters to me.

I would have liked some sort of committment, or promise to expedite the shipment, and would have settled for an apology and explanation... But his dismissive manner really turned me off.

Will not deal with Henry Fields again. Still looking at two bare raised beds and wondering if my asparagus will even arrive.

• ianna
    14 years ago

legless -- sorry to hear about your experiences. Some places are downright rude and it's simply not the way to go when they need to attract more customers.

• sydseeds
    14 years ago

legless - you may want to determine who the 'parent company' is to 'henryfields .ca' is ---- as your order may never actually arrive....

Here is a link that might be useful: hmmm.... wonder who else 'spring garden' is related to...

• legless_marine
    14 years ago

Thanks for the post, sydseeds,

I received my Asparagus yesterday. One package had the beginnings of white mold on it - Probably unavoidable when shipping something moist.

I'm generally unhappy with my dealings with Henryfields, but it worked out acceptably.

That being said, Stokes has been great - Shame they don't sell asparagus crowns.

• legless_marine
    14 years ago

Thanks for the post, sydseeds,

I received my Asparagus yesterday. One package had the beginnings of white mold on it - Probably unavoidable when shipping something moist.

I'm generally unhappy with my dealings with Henryfields, but it worked out acceptably.

That being said, Stokes has been great - Shame they don't sell asparagus crowns.

• ontnative
    14 years ago

When I used to grow vegetables quite a few years ago, Stokes was my favourite place from which to order. They always had excellent descriptions and planting information, and I found the seeds were good too. Glad to hear that they still provide a quality product.

• glen3a
    14 years ago

I ordered from the infamous Spring Garden. I ordered two citrus plants. One plant arrived in excellent health and a pretty decent size. The other was severely dehydrated and roots exposed but fortunately with some TLC he's now outdoors and growing a bit.

I was going to complain and request a replacement but I read from someone on one of these sites, they had problems even trying to get Spring Garden to answer their emails or phone calls. Sure, they can offer a lifetime warranty you just can't get in touch to use it.

Never a good sign when you go to the post office and they tell you that they had to wrap plastic around the box because soil was leaking out. Amusing: Then the lady at the post office says to me "do you know anything about that". I guess reading the label that said "Spring Garden" and having soil coming out of the box didn't clue her in that it was a plant in the box.

Glen