Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Carol Mackie' Daphne

Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
Sun, May 25, 08 at 11:21

I would like to get one of these shrubs but everything I've read about them seems to say they don't always survive. The area we are in is windy and very sunny. There are not mature enough trees to provide shade. If I bought one, it would be planted in a raised bed. Any info would be welcome. Marg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Carol Mackie' Daphne

Marg, a friend of mine has had (hers) Daphne 'Carol Mackie for three years. It's placed in her walkway garden which is not too raised but gets lots of snow cover in winter. We are sometimes Zone 4b but being close to Georgian Bay I say we are Zone 5a. I saw one at Marjorie Harris' nursery several years ago planted on a slight incline in a sand bed in an open area which she didn't water much. But her whole nursery is in a valley so not much wind.
Hope you find the right place for such a beautiful variegated shrub. I still haven't found the right one yet but looking!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here