Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
granite grit for gritty mix

Posted by Hrose 6 A (My Page) on
Fri, May 10, 13 at 11:41

where can I buy granite grit in Toronto area?

thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: granite grit for gritty mix

Do you have a farm/feed store near by, this is where I get mine, I use turkey grit.

o

there are a lot of soiless mixtures nowadays

Tell me how you are going t o use this product

o

rock yards.. there are many throughout the province... like Beaver Valley stone in Thornhill.

o

I get Granite grit (Vancouver Island) here from Farm and Feed stores. I use the #2 size.
I buy Turface from a dealer that sells fertilizers and products for playing field care and maintenance. It is used to improve drainage on ball fields.
Nice product and a little lighter weight than granite grit.
Rick

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Sun, May 26, 13 at 9:04

I just buy Ultra Absorb from Princess Auto and Repti Bark from Pet Smart and mix them together. I also add Vermiculite to the mix.

o

Marric

that was good informaiton for me
In FLorida at one of the garden groups I attended this winter there was a gentleman from Fairchild Gardens in Miami He grows his Brugmansia, which are one ofmy favourites, in containers in a mix of this soil less stuff
THey grow just ever so huge and lots of bloom
I have been looking for similar materials here in Ontario. Well have not done any serious looking since getting home from Florida. But am going to look at the material at Princes Auto and the repti bark you mention. See if it looks at all comparable
Turface I know or a similar product is one that the fellow in FLorida did mention he uses.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here