Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
myfairychloe

Privacy vine/willow screen for arbor/pergola

myfairychloe
15 years ago

My husband built a lovely pergola/arbor for our deck and hung bamboo blinds to give us some privacy from the towering houses behind us. Unfortunately, they did not last a summer with the wind here in Guelph. I planted a Wisteria on the corner and hung some pots in place of the blinds. Anyone know where to buy willow screens? As well, our neighbour has built a lovely plywood storage shed next to our deck & between our houses that I need to hide. Unfortunately the ground in between doesn't get much sun and is quite muddy...grass barely survives. Any ideas on what kind of vine might grow in a dark & wet area?

Comments (5)

• kinglemuelswife
    15 years ago

My hydrangea vine grows on the North side of our house, with virtually no sun at all, and it's moist there; that's what they like. I'd say it's a great bet for the space you're looking at. It grows well, it grows fast and it looks pretty.

• ianna
    15 years ago

I think I spotted a few willow screens at Loblaws. But you probably would be more successful if you visit garden centres.

Hydrangeas will work in dark areas but I'm not sure how it will work in a mucky and clay soil. However it is the ideal plant for dark corners. Whatever plant you choose, you need to condition that soil to provide good drainage Also choose mature plants so that it can reach whatever sunlight that's available. Vines that require regrowth from the ground each year, will not work. If the top area is sunlit, you can probably install a mature wisteria.

• enjoy
    15 years ago

Sounds like a good place for pots if you ask me. Put in a couple of pots with vines already started in them. Move the pots for overwintering. doesn't sound as though you need pretty pots if one can not see the bottom. Find a very hardy vine that will grow in the pots or bury them in winter. I like the sound of hydrangeas. There is a honeysuckle that works in low light as well.

Good luck!

• wendy2shoes
    15 years ago

I hate..almost..to suggest it, but hops will grow almost anywhere, and get to amazing heights. It dies off in the fall, (you remove the old wood), and then, in the spring, up they go again. It can be a thug (especially if you let it grow to seed, where the babies will pop up everywhere). It's very popular in Calgary, with their short growing season, and will cover an ugly fence in a month.
    I grew some up a drainspout at the side of my house..here's a shot.
    {{gwi:529113}}

This was the spring after the first wintersown vine.

I got my seeds from 'Sacred Seeds' in Toronto.

• ianna
    15 years ago

Wendy, I hadn't known of this store and so thanks for relating this information. I note they sell Richter Herb products and so I'm excited about that. It's so accessible downtown too.

Ianna

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm