Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
should I cut back my smoke bush?

Posted by textilejo 5b Nova Scotia (My Page) on
Fri, May 30, 08 at 11:58

I have very little signs of new growth on my smoke bush. most of that is on the low branches touching the ground. It is a high bush over 6 feet tall and looks so sad with all the bare branches.

Will they get buds or should I cut it back to the ground? Is it too late to do it now?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: should I cut back my smoke bush?

• Posted by zuni 5a (My Page) on
    Fri, May 30, 08 at 15:49

I'm no expert, but have found my smoke bush to be the last thing to bud-out here in Ontario. I have also found that cutting back to about 1 foot high results in a rounder, more symetrical shrub and it still gets to be the same height! If yours has not budded out, I would try cutting it back.

o

• Posted by jroot 5A Ont. Canada (near (My Page) on
    Fri, May 30, 08 at 16:49

textilejo, mine are just starting to show signs of buds leaf buds now, and we are further south than you. Take your time, says I, take your time. They should come soon.

o

thanks for the advice. I'm going to give it another week or two and if nothing else shows up on the branches I'll cut them back.

o

My royal purple smoke bush are very leafy now and is producing 'the smoke buds'. It's located in a sunny border.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here