Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
perennials near the ocean

Posted by ivaq 5a (My Page) on
Sat, May 21, 11 at 13:04

Hello everyone!
I'm new to the forum but not to gardening.I will be retiring to a field by the ocean and am looking forward to building my gardens there too. To begin, I'm looking for ideas for perennials and shrubs that have grown well and survived at least 200 feet from the Atlantic. The land has no trees and faces southwest, although I have planted some tiny spruce and other indiginous trees.

Any ideas or any experiences you would like to share? I'd appreciate it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: perennials near the ocean

Rugusa roses do well by the ocean. Bayberry too, daylilies, all the artemesias, thrift...

Start your hardiest ones first, like your spruces, then inshore of that, the roses. We are a little more inland than you, but close enough to hear the ocean and have seen what folks plant right on the shore. Sweet chestnut, castanea, might be OK too, as there are perhaps some on Briar Island...or they could be horse chestnut, aesculus, as I have only heard of them, not seen them. Most of the tulips and daffodills do OK with salt spray too, and phlox...
Are you up the Cape or mainland NS? PEI?

o

• Posted by ivaq none (My Page) on
    Mon, May 30, 11 at 18:23

Thanks for the help, Jocelyn. I'm even farther away - Newfoundland. I've heard that lilacs and spirea may do well, and I'm hoping black eyed susans, coneflowers, shasta daisy,yarrow, too - the old hardy perennials that seem to survive year after year.

o

Hi Ivaq,

you may also want to try lupins.

o

try thrifts too.

o

Well, black eyed susans do great here, and even take the road salt as well as sea spray. What is your soil like? Shallow and dry, shallow and wet, or???? Somebosy else mentioned lupins.....the russel type are hardier than the gallery type, so try the russel lupins first.

Perennial sweet pea is based on the wild beach pea, so it should be OK too, and they smell devine. Vetches might be OK.

There is the old "cut and try" method....try what you like and see how it does.

Jocelyn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here