Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finding weather data for comparison ??

Posted by joel_bc z6 BC (My Page) on
Wed, May 1, 13 at 13:26

I'm in need of an info source that could help in understanding changed local weather conditions. I've been gardening for over 30 years. We know from experience in our last three years that our local weather has involved cooler springs & later frosts (so planting has to be much delayed). At the same time, our summers have had fewer real-hot periods - and the mid-summer nights have been cooler (our time-tested corn varieties do not necessarily ripen ears).

I've located an Environment Canada site allowing access to daily or monthly temps (averages, plus highs and lows) for specific years - so it is not hard to come up with data for each of the last few problematic years. But I've tried to search the internet for "seasonal norms" for our area - you know, weekly or monthly temperature averages from something on the order of a 20-year or 30-year (or longer) period. "Crunched numbers". This is what I'm havng trouble finding.

Can anyone help me find my way to the "seasonal averages" sort of info that radio and TV weather announcers always make reference to? Thanks.

This post was edited by joel_bc on Thu, May 2, 13 at 15:47

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finding weather data for comparison ??

Try the weather channel and look for the historical data for your region. They normally show weekly average temperature but also do show a 30 year average. See the link below

Here is a link that might be useful: weather channel

o
RE: Finding weather data for comparison ??

Thanks, ianna. The page for my home region does not include that info. I don't think they've had weather-sensing equipment in my little valley for long enough, yet.

However, I did use your suggestion in this sense: I found a "Contact" link and have sent them a message asking for week-by-week average temp-averags info - I sent them the name of one of the nearby larger towns, too. So possibly they will provide me with something useful.

May 11 post revision: It's now nine days later, I've sent three messages to the Weather Network, and I've rceived no reply from them. So possibly someone else here has an idea about where to go for this "seasonal norms" info?

Thanks, again.

This post was edited by joel_bc on Sat, May 11, 13 at 11:04

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here