Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Has anyone used 'Rapid Rot'

Posted by donna_jj 5b Montreal QC (My Page) on
Sun, May 13, 07 at 14:00

Hello everyone,
While browsing in Home Depot this morning, I found the usual Compost Accelerator which I buy, and next to it was a product called Rapid Rot, by the Greenleaf Products company of B.C. It seems to accomplish the same thing as Compost Accelerator in a larger more cost friendly container.

Has anyone used this? Any info is appreciated.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Has anyone used 'Rapid Rot'

Compost accelerating products usually contain the bacteria and assorted enzymes that break down the compost faster (some only contain nitrogen). A cheaper one might have a more dilute mixture, or it might just be a better deal - it's hard to tell.

If you have a working compost pile, then you can just toss a bit of that into the new batch and it'll do the same thing for considerably less money. This is what I do - it's cheaper and my thoughts are the more I spend on other things, the less I have to spend on plants! I do small batch cold composting and that is exactly the sort of thing accelerators are great for, but I find stuff still breaks down just fine without it.

Of course it'll be slower if you use old compost as your innoculant, but not by much - if you need compost now, then go ahead and buy it if it's cheaper than the stuff you were using before. But check what's in it - if it's just urea or some other form of nitrogen, skip it and buy your old stuff or buy a bag of lawn fertilizer for even less. Or skip it all and buy another plant :-)

BP

o
RE: Has anyone used 'Rapid Rot'

Hi Donna:

BP has excellent advice as usual. I am about to try using horsetails (impossible to get rid of so one might as well do something with them). You boil them up (outside, I presume) and add the resulting tea to your compost. It is supposed to work even better than commercial products. If you have horsetails it would be worth giving it a shot.

Cheers,
MG

Here is a link that might be useful: Our website

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here