Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ianna_gw

Have any of you planted out yet?

ianna
13 years ago

The weather in Southern Ontario has warmed up enough and I'm going to start planting out the seedlings I started earlier in the year. How many of you have started to plant outdoors?

Comments (23)

• ontnative
    13 years ago

I have just started planting out today, but only a few of my wintersown "babies" are ready. Viola canadensis, claytonia virginica and a few others. Many are still too small for the open ground but are are ready to be potted up in 3-4" pots.

• bonniepunch
    13 years ago

I am so tempted to plant out my tender bulbs and my seedlings, but I'm going to wait another week or two. It is certainly warm enough here for planting them, but I don't trust the weather yet. Just last week we had a snowstorm and I was running around trying to get all the fragile things under some cover.

BP

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    13 years ago

I planted out some California Poppies, Godetias, Sweet Williams, and a Chokecherry tree (rescued it from a city planter where it had reseeded and was 4 inches tall). I also transplanted a Buddleia, some Aruncus Doicus, and Monkshood all started by winter sowing last year so they were all growing nicely in their pots where they overwintered. I'm sure they will appreciate the garden soil and room vs the abuse they were suffering in their tiny containers. :O)

• diane_v_44
    13 years ago

I find, getting home from wintering in Florida, I am so used to warm weather that I just start right in
    Of course I think I am about as slow as a turtle nowadays getting the work done, but I keep at it

I have my Brugmansia out. Brought up from the basement my large pots with Dahlia tubers in them that had started sprouting. As had the Cannas and Callas and several other things that are in the pots. They have loved the rain we have had here in Barrie the past couple of days.

Planted Nasturtiums by seed today. My soil here seems warm. It is quite light from all the dressing I have applied the past three years

Was thinking to put the tomatoes out even but better wait for them, right? Just sets them back, big time,if they get cold.

• ianna
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Finally last night I decided to bite the bullet and plant out. I'm a bit worried now about how the plants are doing as I didn't take the time to harden them. I planted my rudbeckia prairie and marmalades out and my lemon balms and salvias, and also my verbena bonariensis. Considering how long (think years) it took me to experience success with starting verbenas, I am anxious to see it get going.

I started to harden my tomatoes last night. One hour outdoors and will do the same tonight when I return and then more in the next couple of day.

Diane --- I believe by next week the tomatoes can be planted out.

• marricgardens
    13 years ago

The only things I've bothered to plant in the garden are vegies - celeriac, lettuce and joi choi. I believe we may still get a light frost so will be waiting to plant my tomatoes and peppers. Marg

• bev_w
    13 years ago

My broccoli seedlings went out two days ago. Lettuce today.

Some of the cold-tolerant annuals I've planted out so far: night-scented stocks, Anchusa, Sweet Peas.I planted out some biennial salvia horminium two weeks ago 'cause it was just busting out of the pots. It handled the frost nicely.

For the tomatoes and peppers I have to wait until I finish digging and fertilizing the beds. Once that's done, wait a week or so, then everything can go outside with a row cover on at night.

Zinnias, annual Salvia, Lavatera, Gomphrena, Amaranth, and Petunias will wait a bit longer.

• ianna
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well I checked on my newly planted seedlings and all are doing well! - so I decided to plant my basils and parsley. I also brought out my non-hardy succulents to hang on my fence.

I'm now taking my cue on what's out there being sold by the seasonal garden centres. If they have these plants out, I can definitely say it's safe to start planting these out earlier than May 10.

Ianna

• sheryl_ontario
    13 years ago

May 24th is our last frost date, although we usually still get frost until June. I will wait for June to plant out the tomatoes and other tender stuff.

I have planted the cold hardy vegies and flowers out and continue to do a few every day, when possible. I direct planted the nasturtiums and morning glories yesterday as well as having a few sprouting indoors in pots. They won't start sprouting out there until its warm enough for them.

I have new strawberries, lettuce, spinach, radishes, green onions, broccoli, cabbage, peas and corn all growing green in the garden now. I have a lot mroore in the cold frame and small greenhouse, waiting their turn.

I just planted up 7 four o'clock seedlings today for the greenhouse and have my dahlias and cannas growing in pots in the cold frame.

I can't wait until the end of May!! We are getting frost over the weekend, so the tender stuff will have to wait.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Country DIY Blog

• ianna
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I started hardening off the tomatoes this week but had to hold off today. It's just weird weather today.

Thanks for the forewarning about the frost. I'll put my tender plants under glass protection.

Would you believe I just discovered a dahlia growing in my garden - it must be from last year's garden which means it survived winter outdoors. That's a first for me.

Just planted out some plants I got from Loblaws... BTW - boxwoods are on sale at $6 each. That's a big deal.

• luckynes13
    13 years ago

it is supposed to get cold this weekend, very cold on Sunday.
    I have just planted out lettuce and such I have direct sown snow peas and lettuce, spinach, arugula, you know salald greens.
    I had plants outside hardening off, but my babies are all back in now.

• ianna
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yep. heard about the frost. And it's raining now.. Good for the plants, not so good for me. I went to work without my umbrella!

• ianna
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Holy Molly what a windy cold day and SNOW. -- but inspite of the horrible weather, I was still able to go out to buy plants. Got a very interesting iris plant too.

Brought in my none hardy succulents.

I must say my rudbeckia hirtas which I started from seeds are growing at a rapid pace. I only planted them out earlier this week and they almost doubled in size in only 3-4 days.

• diane_v_44
    13 years ago

What a day it is today and Mothers Day as well

I was out with one of my girls. Out i the woods

Dug up some Jack in the pulpit, May apple and a yellow blooming plant, there was lots of it, that I did not know the name of nor can I find it on the internet.

We are going to take a picture of it and put it on a native wild flower site in the morning.

• ontnative
    13 years ago

Does the yellow plant look like the one in the link below? If so, it is a Greater Celandine, a non-native plant that looks very similar to our threatened native yellow wood poppy (Stylophorum diphyllum).

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:529469}}

• DrHorticulture_
    13 years ago

In Saskatchewan:

I planted peas, carrots, bunching onions and gai lan in early March indoors, and transplanted to my unheated greenhouse in late March. Lost some peas and gai lan to the fluctuating temps, but the survivors are now doing well. Peas are flowering. Carrots and onions are slow but otherwise doing well.

in early April, I planted bok choy outside. Lost it to flea beetles. Also planted more peas and some spinach in another unheated greenhouse on a raised bed under an eave. Those plants are doing very well.

in mid April, I planted onions and potatoes. Onions are now coming up. No sign of the potatoes - perhaps that was a mistake! Planted pea transplants outside as well- all survived but growing slowly. Planted radishes in my greenhouse - those are doing well. Radishes planted outside are scraggly from the cool weather and flea beetles.

early May, I transplanted leeks.

Yesterday, planted tomatoes in a raised bed protected by cloche.

I love to push the envelope. However, with some TLC, season extenders and indoor lights, I believe it's possible to squeeze two or occasionally three crops out of the growing season.

• bonniepunch
    13 years ago

I just finished hauling the seedlings, tomatoes and tropicals back outside. The tomatoes and a few other things will have to come back in tonight, but hopefully that will be the end of the cold weather.

I do plan on putting my geraniums into their permanent homes today(their permanent homes are large pots, so if another frost threatens, I can haul them in - it's a pain in the rear and I have no space, but it's an option if I need it).

BP

• swontgirl_z5a
    13 years ago

Isn't this fun weather BP? I am tired of moving stuff too. If it isn't the rain or the wind, it is -4 for the night time low. I have covered a bunch of stuff for the last 2 nights. Some hostas that are just opening and many of my liliums that are up. And my tree peony. I have brought some tender stuff into the garage and zipped up my daylily seedlings in their shelf unit greenhouses. I haven't even unzipped them this morning - that cold east wind is right on them today.
    I have only planted out some dwarf iris I purchased in pots and moved some dayliles and liliums. Also some Tubulosa clematis that I started from seed. They look pretty bedraggled right now.
    Many of our maples look like they have been blown to death on Saturday. Some have about 80% of the leaves dried up and just hanging. I don't know what they will do. Every year it seems they get a good blow as soon as they open but this is the worst I have seen. My red maple has hardly any live looking leaves left. Anybody know if they will grow more leaves at this point?
    And now today they are getting blown again and it is supposed to rain more.
    I can't wait until summer!!!
    Debbie

• ianna
    Original Author
    13 years ago

my tomatoes are too tender to bring outside. In anycase the forecast for Toronto is good weather starts this Friday.. The only problem is I'm travelling this weekend. I'll have to wait till the following week to continue the hardening process.

• sorellina
    13 years ago

Ciao all-

Yes, it's raining and that's kind of a buzz kill as far as getting the yardwork done, but we're compensating now for such a dry April and that's a good thing.

I've been hardening off some very early tomatoes for a few weeks now and just bringing them into the garage when temps fall below 4C or so or the winds are high. All of the main crop tomatoes are still downstairs. I probably won't start bringing them out until Friday. Peppers, eggplants, and basil won't get planted until the first week of June.

Outside, I have Red Russian, Curled Blue Vates, and Dinosaur Kales, American Flag Leeks, Giant Red Mustard, Ruby Pac Choi, Tatsoi, Rainbow Chard, French Shallots, Long Island Improved Brussels Sprouts, Chioggia and Golden Beets, Rainbow Carrots, Daikon and Spanish Black Radishes, Sea of Red, Bronze Arrow, and Forellenschluss Lettuces, Arugula, Super Sugar Snap, Capujiner Blue, Golden, and Oregon Snow Peas. All of these early veggies except the peas have either been harvested or will be very shortly. I've also got tons of herbs and some over-wintered white onions that we've been adding to salads.

I'm behind on sowing my flowers, though. Today's a good day to get that going.

• ubergoober
    13 years ago

I have my colder weather stuff out. Sugar snap peas, lettuce, swiss chard, carrots and green beans. I am waiting for my tomatoes, cukes and peppers. I may even be a little late planting out my tomatoes. I was late starting them this year.

• luckynes13
    13 years ago

well the weather forecast says it should stay above 10 C at night for the rest of the month. sounds promising.
    I left alot of plants out last night and am worried about them.
    All my onions and leeks are in the ground. I planted out dill seedlings last week. My peas are coming up and so are my salad greens. I planted out endive, cauliflower and something that I forgot what it was. cold weather plant. my white globe turnips are showing themselves.
    I am preparing the garden for my tomatoes. I rotate my garden grops every years. so the garden stakes are being moved.
    Found out that the sam marzano tomato will be a great producer. asked on another group. One person said they can produce well up till November and are strong plants.

well I have work to do. talk later.

Nes

• bonniepunch
    13 years ago

Everything is not out for good. The tomatoes, geraniums, seedlings and tropicals are all outside. The tomatoes are even planted . My yard looks like a bomb went off with things scattered all over! Today is the day I organize them into some semblence of order.

Then I just have to go out to Ikea and get a new table and I'm in business! Dinner and drinks out back! Woohoo!

BP

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?