Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
No leaves yet on Maple..... help!!!!

Posted by dave9 (My Page) on
Fri, May 12, 06 at 14:38

I purchased a Red Maple last September I planted it on a gradual slope. It dropped its leaves last fall and I expected to see a beautiful tree this year. Unfortunately it is Spring (May 12) and I have to leaves on the tree. I do have buds on the branches but have no idea if they are from last year. The Tree seems healthy as under the bark it is nice and green. I took the lower protective cover off the trunk as I had left it on over the winter (live in Canada, mild winter), I noticed that there was a relatively large and deep gash under the cover. I immediately treated the area with Pruning Sealer wax (yesterday) and wished I had discovered this when I planted it last fall.

I am relatively new to this and am not sure if this could be the reason I have no leaves let. Could there be another problem? In you opinion is the Tree dead? What should I do. Could this be planting shock?

Please Help

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No leaves yet on Maple..... help!!!!

Here in Toronto, most maples are in full leaf, but our locust is just budding. Maybe the location is slowing down tha budding process. I'd give it more time before I wrote it off.

o
RE: No leaves yet on Maple..... help!!!!

"Under the bark is nice and green..." It's still alive, and I would give it time. A common maple would have leafed out by now, but I'm not familiar with ornamental maples such as the Japanese ones.

Not sure where you are in Canada, but here in the Halifax NS area, I had shrubs bud out and start leafing in January during a warm spell. Those shrubs took much longer to leaf out in May and one of them still has no signs of 'life', but the branches are green under the bark and I know it's just a matter of time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here