Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Roses that work for Canadian weather

Posted by ritug 5 (My Page) on
Thu, May 29, 08 at 14:39

Just want to get some thoughts on which roses have really worked for people living in Ontario. I am tired of seeing roses die year after year and want to just get either the explorer series or the general hardy ones like Iceberg and knockout. But the explorer series does not have much variety in colours so would love to hear from people what has worked for them. My best roses are:

Champlain (going for 4 years now - great rose)
William Baffin
Iceberg
Knockout
Intrigue
Marmalade Skies
Peace
Crimson Cascade (Red Climber)
Yves Piaget

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Roses that work for Canadian weather

Parkland Roses are beautiful and very hardy. I've never grown them myself (not really into roses) but have seen others who have. Extremely hardy if that is what you are looking for.

o

In zone 5, I'm sure you can grow all the roses in the Buck series. As well, look for own-root roses, own-root roses are more hardier than grafted roses in my zone 2 experience.

Sharon

o

this one is a nice color, said to be very fragrant, and tough enough to be a Canadian (Patriotic moment here).

Here is a link that might be useful: check me out!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here