Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clethra alnifolia 'Sixteen Candles'

Posted by weezi z6a Toronto ON (My Page) on
Thu, May 11, 06 at 14:44

I planted this shrub last spring, but it doesn't seem to have survived the winter. I was thinking of replacing the plant, but I've heard that it might not be all that hardy, and I'm reluctant to spend the money on something that is likely to croak on me again.

Anyone have any experience with this shrub?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clethra alnifolia 'Sixteen Candles'

Hardiness should not be a problem with Clethra alnifolia in Toronto. Literature indicates zone 4 and in some cases zone 3. There are Clethra alnifolia growing here in Kingston on the RMC campus that are thriving.

It does best in wet or moist soil on the acidic side but will tolerate occasional dryness. It languishes in perpetually dry soil (ie. under a silver maple)

Simon

o
RE: Clethra alnifolia 'Sixteen Candles'

Mine has survived and I am in a little bit colder zone. It is in a slightly sheltered spot. If you try it again, you may want to protect it in winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here