Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rhubarb or Wild Dock

Posted by runningtrails 5 (My Page) on
Mon, May 19, 08 at 14:48

How do you tell the difference. I just moved to an old farmstead and have what looks like rhubarb growing wild. Does rhubarb reseed all over or is it dock. Does dock have red stalks.

I know they are the same family and resemble each other closely. I would love some rhubarb but don't want to eat something else by mistake.

How do you tell the difference? They look the same in pictures on the internet.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rhubarb or Wild Dock

You may have both curled dock and broad leaf dock. Occasionally on older farm sites there's rhubard still growing in a clump. Dock spreads around here and there singluarly.
Look up Ontario's invasive weeds list.
http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/crops/facts/ontweeds/curled_dock.htm
We are situated on an old farm and there are both docks and a couple of clumps of rhubarb. The rhubarb leaves are huge with curled edges and almost ready to cut now. The taste test is may help.
Yesterday we had to do the taste test with a cute white flowered wildflower. Looked it up and decided it was the invasive wild garlic.

o
RE: Rhubarb or Wild Dock

Then it's most likely dock. Shoot! I was really hoping for some rhubarb!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here