Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lunatic ants in a backyard!!

Posted by Wally_67 none (My Page) on
Sun, May 5, 13 at 14:55

I have just bought a home in Quebec.
The back yard is filled with mature trees, towering over a rolling surface of mud and grass. I'm not particularly interested in a 'lawn' so this is just great.
Except that half the yard surface has been occupied by a colony of black ants. There's nothing wrong with nice, docile ants; however, these buggers are aggressive and so intolerable that I think they bite.
I can't poison the whole back yard, so what do I do? The most interesting part of my property is now virtually off-limits to humans and animals.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lunatic ants in a backyard!!

Wally,

I used to own a log home and the last thing I wanted near it was carpenter ants or any ants for that matter. My weapon of choice was Diatomaceous Earth. It is an all natural product. I bought mine at Canadian Tire but it should be available at most stores which sell garden products. It is basically a powder from fossils which acts like glass on insects with outer skeletons such as ants there by 'cutting' them and then dehydrating them. Ants will carry it on their bodies back to the nest and since they 'clean' each other the powder will affect other ants and hopefully the queen. The death of the queen is the death of the nest and usually the death of the colony.

Look it up. It's a good solution for areas in and around the home. Be persistant and always have some on hand for following years as ants will move into new territories each spring and the earlier you detect them, the earlier you can control them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here