Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
qckanuk

Hops in Montreal area

QcKanuk
14 years ago

I was wondering if anyone knew where I could buy hop vines in the Montreal area, or alternately, if they could be ordered.

I checked out Richters herbs but they are charging in American funds!! If anyone has grown hops (just for fun) any advice would be appreciated.

Comments (6)

• ianna
    14 years ago

are you certain of this? Richters charges in Canadian funds if you live in Canada and US funds if you live in the US....

• consentida
    14 years ago

I can confim that. I recently ordered and received some plants from Richter's and I was invoiced in Canadian funds.

• QcKanuk
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK. After receiving your two surprised follow-ups, I retraced my steps, and if you follow the links from Google to Richters' home page to 'Plants', the default currency is US. You are both correct, there is a way to change the currency to Canadian. Anyhow... I'm guessing nobody has any local (Montreal-area) sources for hops, nor knows how to grow them?

• ianna
    14 years ago

Re the how to grow this vine. Some are hardy to zone 3 which makes it fine for Montreal. It's an aggressive plant although not harmful to the wall or fence it's planted against. You will need to cut it back every now and then.

I'm not aware of this plant being locally available at garden centres. You will need to do some phoning around to see. It's rather rare to see these things in seasonal centres and so you might try your luck at established all season garden centres.

I can see why you might want to purchase locally as Richters requires a minumum order of 6 plants although not necessarily the same plant, in order to process the order. Still it's only Richters that I'm aware of that sells these things. They have a huge market presence in the US which is why their default currency is in US dollars.

Ianna

• wendy2shoes
    14 years ago

You can get seed via "Sacred Seeds" in Toronto. I thought I'd grow it just for fun, and have regretted it ever since. This plant is one of the most aggressive thugs I have ever voluntarily planted.

Beware. Even if you uproot the mother plant, shoots will erupt many feet away . The vines and leaves are spiny, and not pleasant to weed.

The shoots are crowding out my English Ivy..(no mean feat).
    So, if you plan on containing it like bamboo..you may be okay.

I regret ever starting it.

• QcKanuk
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, wendy2shoes, for the VERY helpful information. I was going to plant a few plants in the vegetable garden at my MIL's country house. My DH is a home brewer and we were intrigued at the idea of fresh hops. All were in agreement, but I wanted to make sure first what the consequences would be, and boy HAVE I BEEN WARNED. All I would need is to invade her small gardening space with aggressive plants. I don't think I would be welcome back. Thanks again, one and all.