Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fortnight Lily

Posted by dee_anne_lee 3b Carstairs, Albert (My Page) on
Wed, May 16, 07 at 15:24

I have Fortnight Lily seeds, but they are for Zone 8. I live in Zone 3b. I do not expect them to survive our winter here, however I am wondering what you think the likelihood of them growing here for summer months would be if they were started in the greenhouse.

I would appreciate any input on this, they look like absolutely gorgeous flowers and are supposed to seed like crazy. I am sort of hoping that they might work like a biennial (but I'm not holding my breath).

Here is a link that might be useful: Fortnight lily photo and blurb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fortnight Lily

They do seed like crazy! But they are not particularly weedy. Think of them as being similar to Iris stylosa but flowering over summer and you have some idea of the conditions and root type.

A fairly loose, even stony, soil with some added compost to hold moisture(not too rich - leaf mould is great) and good sunlight. If you have a continental type summer with dry conditions and high temperatures you may find that some shade over the mid day is appreciated, and some water.

In this zone the plant stays evergreen over winter so you can't count on full dormancy to carry you over the darker and colder days. We usually get a lot of rain over winter, too - far more wet days than frosty. Day temps are usually above 8C.

If you can manage to keep the plant cool-ish, freely drained but with reliable moisture/humidity and, perhaps, enough lighting to give around 6 hours during the day.

If you're growing in a pot do your best to avoid letting it get rootbound. They seem to take ages to 'leave the pot' and grow on in the ground otherwise.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here