Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jroot_gw

More F...t expected this weekend.

jroot
14 years ago

Just when I am ready to start planting my dahlias, and giving my other tropical plants their summer home, I checked the weather, and once again they are calling for it to get cold this weekend. ... down to 2C with a clear sky. I guess we know what that means ..... and it starts with F !

Comments (6)

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

I'll trade you tour almost frost for our snow we had this morning and the last few nights of frost. Hopefully it will be better this week coming

• ianna
    14 years ago

John, My dahlias have been outdoors since early May. With enough mulching, they all seem to be doing okay despite the cold weather and incidents of frosts.

However, come to think of it. I've been hardening my tomatoes outdoors for sometime now. Perhaps my area isn't as hard hit by frost as your area.

Ianna

• diane_v_44
    14 years ago

Perhaps the cold days, are finally over.

Cold nights that is, which is even more important

Tomatoes I am planting tomorrow.

Dahlias as well have been in the garden some time. Perhaps three weeks.

How about the Brugmansia, John

• jroot
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I think you are right about the general trend, Diane. I did my planting this past week. All 90 of the dahlias are in, the brugs, the cannas, pelargonia, petunia, my herbs and my tomatoes. I only have a couple of railing baskets to plant which I shall do this afternoon.

I did lose a few brugs this past winter. I was certain that the mother plants were in good shape, so I gave away my cuttings. Alas, some of the mother plants "bit the dust" in the last month, including one of my favourites. However, I still have quite a few and they look as if they will be good for me, again this year. I actually had quite a few blooms on "Shorty" already since I put her outside.

I lost quite a few roses, but I gather many folks did in our area this past winter. Also, I lost my beautiful rhododendron, but I don't know why. Perhaps it was just the weather we had.

• silvana365
    14 years ago

lol... i hope it's over now.

I lost several beautiful roses, in pots, that had done wonderfully in the cold room over winter.

i put them out in april/may and put them in the garage when it was supposed to be extra cold.

somehow an extra cold night snuck in while i wasn't looking.

sigh.. i was so careful too!!!!

• flowerlady70
    14 years ago

Has anyone grown a sea onion and what can expect. Purchased one at Garage sale today. Can someone describe flowering?