Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Boxwood damage over the winter

Posted by yugoslava 6 (My Page) on
Thu, May 22, 14 at 15:44

I have seen a lot of boxwood in Toronto damaged over the winter. My boxwood, particularly mycrophylla, on the side facing south is mostly brown. This is the first time in 10 or 12 years, since I've planted them they have had such damage. The winter was brutal, no question about it. As it's warming up, I'm noticing more and more of my plants not showing any signs of life. Japanese maple, roses, pea schrub and probably few more. Surprisingly, rhododendrons and azaleas have survived without any damage. About boxwood, I have removed some of the brown leaves. Is there anything else?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Boxwood damage over the winter

Yes, I found the same - 2 of my 6 roses died and the rest are very damaged...some box wood too...and quite a lot of perennials. I'm no expert, but the only thing I thought I could do was the same as you...pruning out the real dead parts...maybe shape them later when/if some new growth surfaces...

o

I have a few boxwood and only one has any significant damage. That one is on the north side of a 6ft fence. All my other boxwoods, facing east, facing west along the foundation of the house, came through the winter with minimal to no damage at all.

o

yes, several boxwood died. I have 2 I had carefully shaped over the years and now dead. 4 -5 others have died out too. 1 butterfly bush died but as i had just transplanted it out last season, it probably wasn't entrenched enough to survive the deep freeze. I also a rose bush that died. I haven't yet seen my elderberry come back, but we'll see. if it's not the deep freeze that killed it, it's the pathogen that will. My harry lauder walking stick is infested with blight,. I may have to cut it down.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here