Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flower bed full sun

Posted by kaybee01 6A (My Page) on
Fri, May 4, 12 at 16:15

I want to plant low growing 3-4" high plants that will take full sun and will flower all summer. I do have some bushes in background. I live in Ontario. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flower bed full sun

I've been experimenting with this height for edging, and have not found anything that fits your requirements perfectly. I considered gold leaved plants for their foliage, like golden origanum or golden marjoram. Or lime/golden lamium that has golden leaves, but not always flowers. Slightly higher Geranium Rozanne Crannesbill, is a winner though. Also catmint, there is a dwarf version, also a bit higher than 4 inches. I tried scabiosa and campanula and pink coreopsis, but non of them flower all summer.
What about annuals? There will be quite a lot.
I'd love to see what the other gardeners say here.

o
RE: Flower bed full sun

a number of creeping plants will meet your height requirements however flowering all summer long wlll be a problem. The only solution is using annuals like petunias. Or if you are into succession gardening, you can plant perennials creepers that blooms at certain stages of the season. For example now blooming are campanulas and speedwells. in a couple of weeks my thrifts would start blooming. later some dwarf form of lavenders will bloom all summer. you may then consider some low growing achilleas (careful they spread).

I've grown oregano btw. Great spreader but their flowers bloom tall and flop over.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here